MFC-L2710DW bricked (sort of)

Hi all,

Recently I bought Brother MFC-L2710WD printer in Germany. Printer commands were no German, I tried to switch to EN version and find a way to do it in MAINTENANCE MODE. Typing 74 and then 0003 as Englis language. Now, the printer is on English but with different firmware!! When I open web interface it says that my printer is DCP-B7520DW series. How is that possible? Now, I lost my fax functions and also lost the ability to scan with ADF drawer. So I tried to go in MAINTENANCE MODE again and change language code to 0A03 (that was originally one). Problem is, right now I can not type letters. So I'm stuck on this firmware...

It would be helpful if someone has the same printer so just to send me a screenshot of firmware version so I can try to download it from Brother servers using curl post request and update a correct firmware or if someone had the same problem to help me solve this!!

Ok, I received firmware information from a forum user that has the same printer. I created a request.xml file and post it with curl request. Did not worked.

<REQUESTINFO>
<FIRMUPDATETOOLINFO>
<FIRMCATEGORY>MAIN</FIRMCATEGORY>
<OS>LINUX</OS>
<INSPECTMODE>1</INSPECTMODE>
</FIRMUPDATETOOLINFO>

<FIRMUPDATEINFO>
<MODELINFO>
<SELIALNO></SELIALNO>
<NAME>MFC-L2710DW</NAME>
<SPEC>0A03</SPEC>
<DRIVER></DRIVER>
<FIRMINFO>
<FIRM>
<ID>MAIN</ID>
<VERSION>M1901251404</VERSION>
</FIRM>
<FIRM>
<ID>SUB5</ID>
<VERSION>2.04</VERSION>
</FIRM>
</FIRMINFO>
</MODELINFO>
<DRIVERCNT>1</DRIVERCNT>
<LOGNO>2</LOGNO>
<ERRBIT></ERRBIT>
<NEEDRESPONSE>1</NEEDRESPONSE>
</FIRMUPDATEINFO>
</REQUESTINFO>

Curl request is like this.

curl -X POST -d @request.xml https://firmverup.brother.co.jp/kne_bh7_update_nt_ssl/ifax2.asmx/fileUpdate -H "Content-Type:text/xml" > response.xml

If anyone has an MFC-L2710DW firmware German version and if anyone knows how to extract it from Brother servers, please let me know.

Hi Doppler,
I was trapped by the very same problem like you describe in your post above:
After I had bought a Brother MFC-L2710DW in Spain, in which only the languages Spanish and Portuguese can be picked via the menu, I wanted to change the display language to German. I found an obviously outdated description of how to do this via the Maintenance mode, which listed 0003 as the language code for German. Foolish as I was, I did so and after the procedure my MFC-L2710DW declared to be an DCP-2530DW.
Thanks to your post above I learned that the correct language code would have been 0A03, but how to type in letters on the keypad???
I applied "brute force fumbling" and finally found the solution:

How to type letters on the numeric keypad of a Brother MFC-L2710DW in Maintenance mode:
First press the #-key and then "0" (zero) --> this gives you an "A"
#-key followed by "1" --> "B"
#-key followed by 2 --> "C"
and so forth.

So no need to fumble around with XML-files!

Thank you very much for your post and I hope my solution will also work for you! A short feedback would be appreciated!
Kind regards
PrinterSprinter

I forgot to mention in the above posting that my Brother MFC-L2710DW now works fine with the German settings and German display language.

PrinterSprinter I totally forgot about this forum and my question. A long time has passed. But today I saved my printer. #1 worked perfectly. I owe you a beer :) I will try to emphasize this so other google searchers with the same problem can do this.

In maintenance mode

a. Turn on your printer.
b. Press: MENU---START(MONO for inject printer)---UP BUTTON four times (THIS PROCESS SHOULD BE DONE WITHIN 5 SEC)
c. Maintenance will appear on your screen.

To switch printer language type 74 and then 0A03 for example. Letters can be typed as PrinterSprinter discovered pressing #1 #2 #3...

D

Deleted member 14725

PrinterSprinter I totally forgot about this forum and my question. A long time has passed. But today I saved my printer. #1 worked perfectly. I owe you a beer :) I will try to emphasize this so other google searchers with the same problem can do this.

In maintenance mode

a. Turn on your printer.
b. Press: MENU---START(MONO for inject printer)---UP BUTTON four times (THIS PROCESS SHOULD BE DONE WITHIN 5 SEC)
c. Maintenance will appear on your screen.

To switch printer language type 74 and then 0A03 for example. Letters can be typed as PrinterSprinter discovered pressing #1 #2 #3...
Nice, very few come back to forums after their problem was solved (by themselves), I have a Brother printer so I found your thread looking for maintenance mode options. Will keep this in mind.

I have a MFC 7860DW that had a power interruption while the firmware was being updated. All I see now when I turn it on is black lines on the screen and the fax phone rings every few minutes. I have been reading up on how to fix this but I am not the most tech savvy. I do not know how to download the firmware by posting in curl? I am in the US if that changes anything. Your help is greatly appreciated!

I was trying to update the firmware on my Dell E515DW printer which is made by Brother, and it bricked. When I plug in, FAX/SCAN/COPY lights blink briefly and the fax rings briefly then nothing. Windows recognizes as a USB composite device but not a printer. Any idea how to unbrick?

I had the same issue but followed this youtube video to change the language and region. I inserted 0001 as instructed in the video but that changed the firmware and disabled LAN and a lot of other functionality. Luckily, it was still English and not a language in some non-latin script. Initially the printer was set to code 0A03 in maintainance mode and by trial and error I set to 0A04 which turned out to be English (UK). Surprisingly, I couldn't find the service manual from Brother's UK/US support pages but it was available at manualslib.com.

Last edited:
I have the problem but i can't enter the letters in mfc-l2710dw printer maintenance. how did you solve the problem?

Im Wartungsmodus

A. Schalten Sie Ihren Drucker ein.
B. Drücken Sie: MENU---START(MONO für Injektionsdrucker)---UP-TASTE viermal (DIESER PROZESS SOLLTE INNERHALB VON 5 SEK. ABGESCHLOSSEN WERDEN)
C. Wartung wird auf Ihrem Bildschirm angezeigt.

Um die Druckersprache zu wechseln, geben Sie beispielsweise 74 und dann 0A03 ein. Buchstaben können eingegeben werden, wenn PrinterSprinter beim Drücken von #1 #2 #3...
C.Wartung wird .....angezeigt.
0A03 = "deutsch" --- START ----
Wartung wird wieder angezeigt --- Wartung verlassen mit: 99

herzlichen Dank für die Tipps hier, die mir die Rücksendung des Druckers aus Deutschland via kaufland.de nach Spanien erspart! -- Nur die Bedienblende ist nun noch in spanischer Sprache :-/

Last edited:

Ask a Question