MX700 - network setup question

Hello -

I have a trusty Canon MX700 that I've just connected to my home broadband router. I have 3 desktops and 2 laptops to configure. The first one went fine as it's located in my office room next to the Canon. The Easy Install told me to connect the USB cable (already been using that for a couple of years) and stepped me through discovering the Canon, mapping the card reader, disconnecting the USB cable and then printing a test page. Works fine.

Now my other machines are not in this room but spread throughout the house. I went to a second computer all the way across the other side of the house in the family room and attempted to use the Easy Install. On one of the first screens I chose "Printer is already connected to the network" figuring this one was appropriate since I'd just completed the initial install on the office PC. Easy Install puts up a next panel (Associate Port) showing no printer to select for Association.

I don't get it! Does this mean that I have to drag each computer to the printer, connect the USB cable, do the install and drag it back to where it lives???

How does Easy Install really work?

H

The answer is...

Took a lot of digging...

What you have to do is first run the Canon driver install. Make sure you have downloaded and are running "mx700swinns101en.exe" It runs but gets to a point where it can't find the printer (it's not attached by USB) Stop there - leave the Canon app stopped but running.

Go to XPs "Printers and Faxes" - "Add Printer" - chose add local printer (not networked printer) - define port. And there you will find that the Canon installer has added in and given you "CBJN_Port" (or something similar). Choose this and complete the applet. Cancel off the stopped Canon installer (using Ctl_Alt_Del) - it's done its work. Print your test page. Done.

The secret is getting this CBJN_port to appear. I believe the letters stand for "Canon Bubble Jet Network.." but I could be wrong. Why it can't use a standard TCP-IP port is beyond me but..

Happy printing all!

Ask a Question