Network Canon Pixma MP560 from Mac to Windows

I have a Canon Pixma MP560 connected to a Mac laptop by USB cable. The Mac's OS is X Lion. It works fine. I also have a Toshiba laptop with Windows 7 on the same wired network as the Mac. I would like to be able to print from the Toshiba. What happens now is, with a text document open in MS Work or Open Office on the Toshiba, if I click File>Print, the printer on the Mac makes the right noises, but then ejects a blank sheet of paper (that is, it responds to the Toshiba, but will not print). (The printer prints fine directly from the Mac, so it's not printer ink.) The settings on the Mac are: System Preferences>Print & Scan>Canon MP 560>Sharing Preferences>Everyone Can Print. On the Toshiba, the Mac shows up at Network, but not the printer. At Control Panel>Devices & Printers, the Canon printer appears, and is shown as being on the Mac. When I installed the Canon software on the Toshiba, the Wizard said it could not find the printer (although it evidently did because it shows at Devices & Printers), and so failed to install the drivers. I have tried everything I can think of, and am stumped. I will much appreciate any help! Thank you.

Update: This morning, I installed the printer on the Toshiba directly (not as a LAN printer), and the Wizard installed the driver properly. Now, when the printer is connected by USB to the Toshiba, it prints fine. However, if I disconnect the printer from the Toshiba and connect it by USB to the Mac, the Toshiba continues to "see" the printer on the Mac, and it still appears on the Toshiba at Control Panel>Devices & Printers, but it still "prints" blank sheets of paper … that is, when a print job is sent to the printer from the Toshiba by network, the printer simply spits out a blank sheet. So, it's evidently not a printer issue, but a networking issue, Windows & Mac, and belongs on another forum. Thank you for your time.

Last edited:

Ask a Question