New printer (HP m102w) will not install

I have been out of the personal printer business since my Laserjet 4 on Win XP. Recently, I have a need for a printer that can handle < 20 pages per month. I went back to HP because of the fantastic Laserjet 4 experience. I bought the HP Laserjet m102w.

Unfortunately, I am now stuck with WIN 10 and the installation process has been a nightmare. Perhaps I should have dumped this printer and bought something else, but I have spent the past two months trying to get this thing just to install. My best install to date has allowed me to send a few of the HP software test/reports to the device. I have never been able to print from Word, Excel, Firefox, etc.

I have tried installing both the basic package and the full package. Both are the latest versions available from the HP support site. Neither results in a usable printer installation.

I can "see" the printer via the wireless and the USB connections. But neither will allow me to print anything beyond the test reports.

A friend that does IT for a major company advised me that the lower-end printers are always problems nowadays and that they should be avoided. He was unable to make this thing work.

So far, I have had the luxury of time, but I will have an immediate need to print by the end of the month.

Now the hard part - Does anyone know how to make the HP Laserjet m102w install correctly in Win 10?

This is such a shame, my old Laserjet 4 was such an easy to use workhorse that only needed toner fills and roller replacements. Almost never were the drivers or installation an issue for me.

Navigate as follows:\
Control Panel -> Devices & Printers -. Right Click HP m102 Icon -> Select Remove Device
Do same for any other related Icons (HP Icons)

Now uninstal all related HP software (anything that sez HP)
  1. Open the Start menu.
  2. Click Settings.
  3. Click System on the Settings menu.
  4. Select Apps & features from the left pane. ...
  5. Select an app you wish to uninstall.
  6. Click the Uninstall button that appears.
Go to:
Connect Printer Via USB
Control Panel -> Devices & Printers
Click Add a Printer (at top of page)
Follow screen instructions
Windows 10 will automatically search for correct Driver and install
Be sure "Windows Updates" is enabled & Solid Internet Connection

Advise

Last edited:

Ask a Question