Non-genuine ink detected

My Epson XP355 Expression Home was working on clone cartridges but needed a couple replaced, it now refuses to recognise clones of the same make. How do I persuade it to accept these cartridges? I'm using Windows 8.1

This is the EPSON 29XL cartridges. Sometimes if you persist with uninstalling, restart printer and reinstall ink. This will work sometimes and you may have to do it a few times.

Maybe it was something to do with my trying different combinations of cartridges, similar to what you suggest, the printer displayed once again that the inks were not Epson but then asked if I wanted to continue using the non-approved inks. I clicked on'Yes' and so all is well. No doubt that click also gave Epson the info that makes any guarantee totally void.

My Epson wf-3640 did the same thing, started refusing aftermarket cartridges. I read Epson released a firmware update that prevents you from using clones and locks you into genuine Epson cartridges. I don't know if this is true or not but mine will no longer take them.

1. Start by installing the cloned ink cartridge, and automatically the printer will issue a prompt “an ink cartridge cannot be recognized”.
2. Proceed to “Start”, then “Control Panel” on the computer and double click on the “printer”.
3. Look for the icon on the “Epson Printer” and right press and select “Printer Preferences”, regularly found at bottom of the dialog box.
4. Click on the tab showing “Speed and Progress” and look at the Epson Printer monitor box.
5. Turn off the ink monitor by checking off the “Disable Epson Status Monitor” found within a box.
6. And lastly, click “Save” and close the window. That’s about it the printer and the cloned ink cartridges can now start printing operation.

Remember, inkjet cartridges are installed with electronic chips that monitor the printing process and automatically shutdown once operation does not conform to the regular process. Cloned ink cartridges on the other hand have a different chip that may not be compatible to to the original, thus to reconfigure is the only solution to allow printing to proceed.

An Epson Printer can work best with an original Epson ink cartridge, but it can be coaxed to print using cloned or third party inkjet cartridges.

Ask a Question