Okidata Drum Edge washup solution

I use Okidata C5400 and C5300, but this would pertain to all Oki Drums. Did you have have your prints ruined because the Drum starting "going bad" on the edges? That's where the coating has degraded and it starts printing annoying toner "dirt-tracks" on the edges. Its really annoying if you dont even have anything over there thats in the file you are printing. Well, I discovered a fix for that. If you use some clear gloss spray paint such as Rustoleum 2X,
and spray some in the cap or a cup. You can use a Q-Tip to apply it to the spots on the edge where the coating degradation has taken place. You swab a little on the drum over there and blow on it. It dries very quickly. Rotate the drum via your thumb on the white gear, wipe iof any toner with a tissue, and get all the spots you think are degraded. The coated areas will now NOT pickup any toner. So you now may even get away with running a full 8.5x11" sheet that doesnt have any of that color over there. For example you are running a black toner letter and it was washing up on the edge in Magenta... you just dont need ANY magenta on that edge so you can print the letter without the edge being dirtied up. BUT what I really use the method for is: I put a sticker on that drum and mark it as "edge wash-up- use for envs only." If the drum is still good in the middle than you can run envelopes, 5.5"x8.5" sheets, etc. without wasting toner on the bad edge and dirtying up your machine. You make get 1000's more envelope copies out the drum. Anything that runs a narrower sheet will run well until the drum really goes, which could be a long time. I have multiple machines, so I can keep one machine marked as envelopes only and get more life out of old drums as long as the drums are still solid in the middle.

Ask a Question