Print quality issue with an Epson Stylus SX235W

Hello everyone, I have a print quality issue with an Epson Stylus SX235W.
I uploaded a scan of a bar code where we can see what type of problem I am facing.
I do not know if this is due to a problem with the printhead or a problem with the displacement of the head.
If anyone has any idea to fix this, thank you in advance.
Marc.

scan 1.jpg

I assume you are using ink jet compatible paper. Please can you send a scan of the nozzle test pattern.

Have you already tried a print head alignment? Its hard to say what the problem is. It might be deflected nozzles. When the nozzles are partially blocked they don't fire straight; like putting your finger over a garden hose to deflect the direction of the water. If one or two cleaning cycles don't help you could try using other methods.

1- Allow the head to have an overnight soak on the cleaning pad flooded with cleaning solution. (70% Windex + 30% pure isopropyl alcohol (Tip don't use alcohol with any added oil or the type used in sanitizing sprays)

2- Gently glide the head over a paper towel placed on the platten and soaked in cleaning solution. If you allow it to soak on the paper towel it will suck all your ink dry which could be expensive. There are online videos showing how its done

3- Install refillable carts with cleaning solution. Run several cleaning cycles for 2 or 3 days before removing them.

Kind regards
Chris

Last edited:
Hello and thank you for your answer.

I have already tried the solutions you suggest to me:
Let the head soak overnight on the cleaning swab flooded with cleaning solution with pure isopropyl alcohol.
Gently slide the head onto a paper towel placed on the pan and soaked in cleaning solution.
I also injected pure isopropyl alcohol into each nozzle several times, all to no avail.
As for the nozzle test pattern, I don't have a scan on hand, but it was okay.

As I couldn’t come up with any satisfactory results, I ended up taking the printhead apart and soaking it in pure isopropyl alcohol.

For several days now, little bits of ink have been coming out in the jar or the soaking printhead, I will let it soak for a few more days to try to clean it completely.

Along with all of this, I ordered a remanufactured printhead, so if I can't fix and clean my printhead, I will have the option of reassembling a working one.

Thank you again for all your advice.

Yours sincerely.

Marc

Hello Marc. Thank you for your feedback. I do hope you can this printer working.

An effective cleaning solution for dye based inks is 70% Windex* and 30% pure isopropyl alcohol. For pigment based inks, use a 50/50 mix. The combination of dilute ammonia and isopropyl alcohol is more effective than just the iso. The cleaning solution must not get in contact with any electronic components.

I have removed Epson print heads in the past but have found the most effective way to clean them is to purchase refillable chipped carts and fill them with cleaning solution and a touch of ink so you can see the nozzle test. After a few days with cleaning cycles stubborn clogs should clear up. Sometimes over a week is needed. Sometimes two weeks.

As a word of caution, Epson print heads have circuit boards attached to them. Its very important that no solution gets in contact with the electronic components as they are easily damaged.

I hope the "Refurbished" print head is a good one. The problem with Epson printers, is that if a defective head is fitted to a good main board, then the main board can fry. The other problem is that you need the special adjustment programme to input the head ID code so the printer will print correctly. Every head has its unique ID code. I have had a bad experience with buying Canon print heads from China. I bought 2 print heads from E bay described as "New" and they were both defective. Basically, someone removed the heads from discarded printers, cleaned them up and repackaged them to look like new.

I do hope you can get this printer working. Please let us know how you get on.

Kind regards
Chris

* or similar ammoniated window cleaner with no added acids.

Ask a Question