Printer crashes Word

I have two printers which I use on a daily basis. A Brother DCP-J315W and an older Epson D78.
After formatting my hard drive and reinstalling both printers I find that on trying to print a document from Microsoft Word and Excel on both printers (one at a time) it causes the program to stop responding and turn itself off.

I've tried most things I would know how to remedy this but to no avail.

Anyone any ideas please. Thanks for your time

I would try to print to one or the other and see if that works. Unistalling office might help. Also what version of Windows are you using?

1. You may first want to try downloading the latest version of the driver software, running Microsoft Windows Updates, or rolling back the driver.
2. Does notepad crash? If not I would try repairing office
3. If it's for home use then you probably aren't but if either the document or Word directory (user folders usually) is mapped to a network drive, that might be causing your lockup. Try coping a version of the document to your computer and try printing again.
4. If you formatted your computer to upgrade it to say Windows 8, double check that the printer is actually compatible to your computer. Also you can try to run Office in comparability mode but I don't think that would effect a driver issue so the application would still probably crash.
5. In some cases it might be the driver setting. Try turning off printer status notification, this needs to be disabled.
6. Is there any add-on's or special software you installed that might be effecting office? Try disabling them and retry.
7. Also, if you uninstall the drivers you put on the machine from device manager or whathaveyou, you might be able to just pick up the drivers through Microsoft Windows Update, it might work over the drivers you may have manually installed.
8. In all/any office applications, Click File>Options>Advanced>(Scroll down to Print options) and deselect the second option "Print in background". Some printer drivers do not allow background printing. You'd need to do this for all office applications.
9. Rare but your printer may not like the version of Office you installed. If you have the 64bit version and your printer is older, the 32bit version might work better. This one is drawing at straws and method #4 might do the same..

Good luck.

Ask a Question