Printer keeps shutting down

I have an Epson XP 410 printer. It has worked without issue for the past 2 years. I use the google cloud print feature since I have a chromebook. I went to print something yesterday and it said printer was offline. I went to the printer and it was off so I turned it on. 20 seconds later it turned itself off. Turned it on about 5 times and same result, it turned itself off. I started messing around with it. I turned my router off and then turned the printer on and it stayed on. I turned my router on and the printer went off. I left my router on and turned the printer on but disable the wifi on the printer and it stayed on.
So for some reason anytime the printer tries to connect to wifi it turns itself off. My sister has the same model printer, its being stored in my basement. I hooked up hers and same exact thing. Hers is on a much older firmware also.
I'm not sure if its my router somehow or the epson printers. or something in google cloud print software that doing it once its connected. Its really odd though.
Any ideas?

Little more info. My dad has the same router and printer in his condo and they work fine together for the last year. I just set my phone up as a hotspot and connected my printer to that. It stays on and works perfectly. So its definitely not the printer. Might not even be the router. Might be the internet connection that network is on. Which is a little scary. I'll look into it more . Any ideas would be appreciated

Testing some more. I connected the printer to my phone using my phone as a wifi hotspot, printer stayed on. Then I registered the printer to use Google Cloud Print through that connection. The printer turned itself off.

Something is up with Google Cloud Print. Its turning off my printer. And spoke to my dad. His printer is off too. This is most likely Googles fault.

Last edited:
Latest. As long as google cloud print is unregistered the printer works fine. Works hooked up to a friends windows machine with a usb cable. Works using Epson Iprint app over the wifi network. As soon as I try to register it to google cloud print it powers off.

jasesun - Your post was extremely helpful as the problem describes an identical issue with my EPSON WorkForce WF-7520 All-in-One Printer turning off and on. For no reason the condition started in the last 24 hours making the printer unusable. I managed to turn off wifi before the printer recycled and finally the printer stayed on, but without any connectivity. I then connected the printer with a wired ethernet cable and the problem came back. Based upon your Google Cloud Print comment, I checked the status of this printer on google. I noticed it said a firmware upgrade was needed. Because my printer would not stay on when connected to the internet, I went ahead and deleted the printer from google, but that alone did not solve it. Anytime the printer was connected to the internet, it would continue to cycle off and on. I disconnected the printer completely from the network and from the printer menu, reset all network defaults. It now works fine, whether connected by wire or wifi. Now that the printer stays on I am able to go to the printer's web page to update the firmware. After this lesson, I don't have plans to enable Google Cloud Print, so I don't know whether the firmware update allows the printer and Google to get along.

Interesting fellows. I have Epson 730 exhibiting exactly same problem Turn printer on and does initial cleaning and then powers off. Have WRT54G Linksys Router with Tomato firmware. Just installed MagicJackGo attached to router and just purchased two wireless mice. Printer worked flawlessly prior to Magicjack install and mice acquisition. Will trouble-shoot tomorrow and report back to forum. Am not associated with Google Cloud, that I am aware. Printer is wireless and talks to router in that manner. Printer was working properly 2 to 3 days ago. Regards

I've just started to have this issue with my Epson WF-2540WF, maybe just after replacing a compatible ink cartridge, worked fine with them before, printer just keeps going through a, what looks like a nozzle cleaning cycle, then restarts, then repeats, even taken all the cartridges out, and it still seems to do it, although it does say cartridges are not installed correctly, driving me carry ! any ideas ?

Thanks Emily, mine was on a Ethernet cable, but I'll try it, don't use Google to print, but I'll make sure it's off.

Update:
Removed batteries from mice
Problem persists (Printer Shuts Down)
Disconnected MagicJack completely
Problem Persists
Disconnected Cox modem cat 5 cable from router input.
Printer remains powered-on
So, Printer shut-down signal coming from Internet
Two possibilities are "Google Cloud Print" or "Epson Connect"
Further update will follow

Update 2:
Removed printer from Google Cloud Print
Tried to delete Epson Connect Account on Internet. Unable to do so, as printer still registered.
Disconnected modem from router -> Turn-on Printer - >Selected "Restore Default Settings except WIFI" at printer interface.
Re-connected modem to router. Printer now remains in "On" position. Printed just fine from computer with Internet connected. One may have to add printer to Google Cloud Print" and restore "Epson Connect". However I dont use
either, so will do without now. Just glad to get my printer back.

Last edited:

Ask a Question