Printer rollers not accurate

Hello, and thanks for checking out my post.

I have a problem with my printer. It is a Brother HL-2040. Ive written a program that prints out diagrams on sheets. These sheets are used as an overlay, sort of as a pattern for various uses. The printed pattern must be highly accurate.

My printer does not seem to grab sheets at the same location every time. Mind you, it's not terrible at all, only off by about one or two mm. This does not seem like a huge deal, but believe me it could cause huge problems for this operation.

Is there something I can do to my printer, or, is there a laser printer that someone knows of that can reliably print patterns onto US Letter paper, or envelopes at EXACTLY the same location on every sheet?

Thanks in advance!

at EXACTLY the same location on every sheet?

How "exactly" is "exactly"? Within 1 mm? 0.5 mm? 0.1 mm?

My observation is that paper handling by inkjets and laser printers isn't all that repeatable.

You might consider having "registration marks" on the outside of the paper, and using a paper trimmer to remove the excess from the sides.

0.5mm would definitely do the trick. Thanks for your suggestion, but the paper trimmer is not a viable option for this project.

Ask a Question