Problems since adding printer to network

Hello everyone. Maybe someone can give me some guidance with a recent issue I'm having.

The hardware/software:

- HP p6320F, 8GB of ram Phenom II x4 820 2.8GHz processor (Quadcore)
- Windows 7 Home Premium
- D-LinK DIR-655 Router with USB jack for print server, etc.
- Brother MFC-440CN All-In-One.

I've had the computer for several months and the printer for about 3 years. All has worked extremely well. Up until recently the printer was hooked directly to the back of the computer via USB. I've had a home network of 3 computers and wireless for about 3 years as well with an old D-Link DI-524 and it served it's purpose well but I wanted to get a gigabit router and "N" wireless. Got a great deal on the DIR-655 and it had a usb jack that I could finally put my printer on the network (YAY!!!!). Hooked it up, all of the computers recognized the printer and I thought all was golden. The other computers are Windows XP and seem to print fine, even wirelessly from my work laptop. The problem is with the Windows 7 machine. When I send a document to the printer, it will print the first few lines of the document, spit out the page and then the status screen of the printer resets to it's default/home screen. If I try to scan a document, I get a "Failed to Connect, check cables, etc." Windows error. Same thing if I try to fax through Windows 7. I am router challenged but the only options that I saw available when I logged into the router is to select their "Share Port" software (which really sucks because only one device can be connected to the printer at a time and you have to manually release it before another can) or a WCN usb selection (which wont allow the printer to connect at all). I've seen web searching for almost a week now and have yet to come up with a solution.

Please, please, please help me figure this out. It's driving me nuts! LOL!

Thank you very much in advance!!!!

Chris

Ask a Question