Samsung CLP-680 Laser Printer - Colour Misaligned

About 90% of things I print are B&W so not sure when this issue surfaced. Anything printed in colour has the yellow colour offset to the others by around 5-6mm. Looking at the demo page printed (the butterfly image), the 'Color Xpression' logo in the corner of the page (three offset boxes, one green, one red and one blue), it looks like it is only the yellow cartridge that is offset. I'm running Windows 10 and it doesn't matter what application I print from (Word, Excel or even Paint). Also tried an older Windows 7 laptop.

The printer is using genuine Samsung toner cartridges and I'm using the very latest drivers downloaded from the HP site (who now support Samsung printers). Have tried various suggestions I've seen for other laser printers like removing cartridges, powering on, wait for error message, power off, insert cartridges, power on, go to Image Manager and run Auto Color Reg., but no success.

The printer has printed less than 3,000 pages and the toner cartridges are at 49% for the black and 69% for the colours, and I've only printed 254 pages in colour.

5 to 6mm is a large amount for the reg to be out
usually only about 1mm out
auto colour reg wont adjust that large amount
take all the image units out
remove the itb give it a bit of a turn
there should be a patch on the belt (at the edge of the belt)
make sure its clean
then match the belt patch with inside the printer there should be an optical sensor to
monitor the patch make sure its clean
clean any sensors you can see in machine
taking everything out and putting it back in may solve problem
its more than likely an itb problem more so than the drum cartridges

5 to 6mm is a large amount for the reg to be out
usually only about 1mm out
auto colour reg wont adjust that large amount
take all the image units out
remove the itb give it a bit of a turn
there should be a patch on the belt (at the edge of the belt)
make sure its clean
then match the belt patch with inside the printer there should be an optical sensor to
monitor the patch make sure its clean
clean any sensors you can see in machine
taking everything out and putting it back in may solve problem
its more than likely an itb problem more so than the drum cartridges
Luckily I've managed to find a copy of the service manual, so was able to follow your instructions. Having removed the ITB, it is driven off a single cogged wheel at one side. Everything inside the printer is spotless, but I still cleaned all possible contacts whilst it was apart. Putting it all back together again and printing the test page got the same result of the yellow being offset.

What I did manage to do after my initial post was find out how to get into the Tech Menu and from there produced an ACR report, and that shows an odd value for the yellow cartridge in comparison to the other colours, 6 versus values in the 90s for the Y offset. Unfortunately, I can't find anything in the Tech Menu that will allow me to change those values.

Attachments

• IMG_20211214_181408_217.jpg
    IMG_20211214_181408_217.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 45
the acr report you printed off shows wrong date
which could mean the software has crashed in the printer
in the service manual it will tell you how to restore software (may say firmware)
or restore to factory defaults
the printer might just need software reboot

the acr report you printed off shows wrong date
which could mean the software has crashed in the printer
in the service manual it will tell you how to restore software (may say firmware)
or restore to factory defaults
the printer might just need software reboot
The printer doesn't get used that much, so it's never powered all the time. I switch it on as and when I need it, as it may be several weeks or even months between printing something. I know it has a Eco mode and power saving, but that doesn't justify having power going to it all the time.

There is the option to reset the NVM which I mentioned above, but I'll have another read through the manual to see if there's anything else that can be reset.

"There is the option to reset the NVM which I mentioned above"

Well, the reset option didn't go anywhere. Although mentioned in the service manual, it doesn't appear in the Tech Menu on the printer itself. My last option is try and find an older version firmware, and try and install that.

Hi I have the same problem with a different colour- did you resolve this problem ? If so could you let me know how? Many thanks mark

Hi I have the same problem with a different colour- did you resolve this problem ? If so could you let me know how? Many thanks mark
Not yet. Still trying to source older firmware version(s) to try, although it might not allow the flashing of an older firmware. If you look at the image I posted above in post #3, you'll see what I believe to be the issue with mine. I suspect if you run the ACR report on your printer, you'll get a similar result with your problem colour.

Not yet. Still trying to source older firmware version(s) to try, although it might not allow the flashing of an older firmware. If you look at the image I posted above in post #3, you'll see what I believe to be the issue with mine. I suspect if you run the ACR report on your printer, you'll get a similar result with your problem colour.
Thank you for replying - there is a solution - just have to find it - let’s hope social values and community work in all areas - I will now dive into the technicals - also the law has just changed Samsung/hp have a legal responsibility- thanks again

Thank you for replying - there is a solution - just have to find it - let’s hope social values and community work in all areas - I will now dive into the technicals - also the law has just changed Samsung/hp have a legal responsibility- thanks again
Doubtful any law (if applicable in the UK) will cover a six year old printer, despite the low page count (<3,000 and only 254 in colour) when neither Samsung or HP will respond to my queries. However, I just don't have the funds to get an equivalent replacement plus high capacity cartridges.

Ask a Question