[SOLVED] Unbelievable paper loading problems, Pixma MG5750

Hello everyone.

A week ago we bought a Pixma MG5750 all-in-one. ever since, scanning has been fine, but printing is a disaster: this is the 1st printer we've ever owned you need a help forum to just put the paper in. far from being a technophobe, i am a software engineer and had dozens of printers through the years, but this one has us both stumped. Over the last week, we were able to print only three times, head alignment tests included, as when we were able to correctly insert the paper (once) we did so by total chance, not having understood what we did, we cannot replicate it.

If you simply place the paper on the tray, tighten its edge guides and push it in (the way you do with what must be 99.99% of printers out there) it will overhang the tray by about 3 mm. that's a sure-fire way to spot that it won't print, as it doesn't detect the presence of paper and the rollers aren't able to pull it in.

According to the manuals (both included in the box and manually downloaded from canon's site:
"holding the right tab on the front cover, pull the cassette out until it stops" and we've done this, but it changes nothing as the paper does not slide all the way in, it still overhangs. besides, the only time we were able to correctly load the paper, we had NOT pulled out the tray, but we were able to make the paper slide all the way in without overhang, by chance.

There are two white arrows, one on the tray and one on the side of the printer, that appear to point to each other and nothing else.

If you own this printer could you please help us, otherwise we'll have to return it as defective.
thank you.

Attachments

• 20170212_221245.jpg
    20170212_221245.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 787
  • Gizmissing.jpg
    Gizmissing.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 823
  • Arrows_To_Naught.jpg
    Arrows_To_Naught.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 892
  • Tray_Pic.jpg
    Tray_Pic.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 853
Are you loading A4 A5 or letter size paper? Think you must select paper size in the print settings with the operation panel or the printer driver when printing?

A4 paper is 11.7 inches in length
Letter Paper is 11 inches

Otherwise would guess there is an obstruction (paper jam) preventing tray full insertion.
Let me know how you fair. Might be useful for the next guy.
Regards

hi there.
thank you for your reply. we've tried a4 size only.
for completeness, i should add that we've watched several videos already, (i'm including a link to one of them below) and we can perform all the highlighted steps no problem, but the result is always one of: paper overhangs by 2-3 mm, in which case it won't take it, or the tray and paper will line up perfectly, in which case it will. how we get to the latter is utterly by chance after considerable fiddling, curses, etc, and we can never replicate it (not on purpose). We found out that the two arrows are indicators of the tray being properly aligned, it was further down in the manual, in a spot we never reached because we failed at previous steps and stopped there.

this is unbeliavable, if i told my colleagues that i could not put paper in my new printer i would never hear the end of it.

this last video was suggested by the printer vendor, we had watched one specific to our model in which the person appeared to press at the mid-point of the printer, below the paper out tray, but that step, if significant, was not documented in the subtitles.

Can you remove the paper tray completely? Using flashlight and probe verify that paper sensor moves freely and that the track is clear of any obstruction or paper jam..

Turn printer up side down and shake it.

Open the back access port (if it has such) to view any possible obstruction or paper jam. Printer manual should provide such instruction under Paper Jams.

Did you remove paper tray? Does the paper tray slide on a track on both sides? Maybe tray is resting on cabinet bottom instead of tracks.

Your photos show white arrows line-up. Maybe A4 paper is suppose to overhang the tray.

How many paper sheets are you attempting to load? Manual should indicate maximum allowed.
Am interested in what you find.
Regards

aha! thank you for the suggestion, you little troubleshooter you

turned the printer upside down and heard something move about, shook it (very gently, i was concerned about breaking the head movement mechanism) and a piece of plastic came out. after this paper slid in no problem, i tried feeding in paper four times, and each time it was taken in without issue. the thrice-darned thing must have been trapped in the path of the paper feeding in.

i wouldn't have though of doing that, may i ask, how did you think of it? has it happened to you before?

THANK YOU
all the best
Neil

Attachments

• AHA.jpg
    AHA.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 825
Im just very smart Neil! LOL. Now where did the plastic come from?
Did something break-off, or was this something left over from molding the plastic case.
Anyway, glad you had success and can enjoy your new printer.
Best Regards
Florida, U.S.A.

you sure are!

it's not the same highly polished or textured plastic the printer is made of. it has traces of what i assume to be glue on it, so my guess would be something that's come loose from the inner workings of it, and of course as luck would have it, it lodged somewhere where it could mess things up. it doesn't seem to be suffering from its absence as everything's fine, but i'll keep it on the side just in case.

many thanks again,
all the best
neil, london, uk

Vil

Hi
I have same printer with same problem, but it paper sensor pad does not move freely, it is stuck in one position.

Update - seems like returning spring for this pad got loose and than fallen out. Trying to put it back.

Last edited:
Hi
I have same printer with same problem, but it paper sensor pad does not move freely, it is stuck in one position.

Update - seems like returning spring for this pad got loose and than fallen out. Trying to put it back.

hi vil
forgive me, this is not what you wanted to hear, but that printer was such a sack'a crap that we eventually threw it out. i'm sorry you're stuck with it as well, my advice is to get rid of it and buy another.

Vil

hi vil
forgive me, this is not what you wanted to hear, but that printer was such a sack'a crap that we eventually threw it out. i'm sorry you're stuck with it as well, my advice is to get rid of it and buy another.

This is the first problem I have with it after 2 years of daily use.

Now I just cant get that spring back - just deciding between disassembling it by myself or taking to the service.

If anyone had same problem and have advice, let me know.
If anyone have parts diagram of this printer - post it here please, it would help me a lot.
Enclosed photos of stucking part (paper sensor?) and spring that fell out of it.

Attachments

• MG5057_bazmek.jpg
    MG5057_bazmek.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 656
  • MG5057_Pružina.jpg
    MG5057_Pružina.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 627
Can you remove the paper tray completely? Using flashlight and probe verify that paper sensor moves freely and that the track is clear of any obstruction or paper jam..

Turn printer up side down and shake it.

Open the back access port (if it has such) to view any possible obstruction or paper jam. Printer manual should provide such instruction under Paper Jams.

Did you remove paper tray? Does the paper tray slide on a track on both sides? Maybe tray is resting on cabinet bottom instead of tracks.

Your photos show white arrows line-up. Maybe A4 paper is suppose to overhang the tray.

How many paper sheets are you attempting to load? Manual should indicate maximum allowed.
Am interested in what you find.
Regards

Thank you so much for posting this! Had my printer for a couple of years & have always had issues with it recognising the paper in it etc. - was getting REALLY frustrated today so had a look online for some ideas on how to fix it; turned it upside down & lightly shook it & the paper tray arrows finally line up lol! Magic. Thanks for sharing!!

Ask a Question