swolen paper

I'm located 75 ft from the Atlantic Ocean. The constant humidity causes paper to swell by about 1/16" across the 8.5" dimension. I have several Samsung printers used for casual printing in which paper wider than 8.5 inches binds and won't feed. (I'm tired of having to pass all of my paper through a paper cutter to remove 1/16".)

I'd appreciate any suggestions of a manufacturer who uses feeders that will accept paper very slightly wider than 8.5"

I'd look at printers in stores but the closest store that has printers in stock (just 2 or 3 of them) but that is over 50 miles away.

Is the feeder in something like the Brother HL2230 able to feed 8-9/16" wide paper?

Very frustrating.

* Are you having problems with inkjet photo paper, or copy/plain paper? Or both?

* Have you asked an actual paper maker if certain paper swells less?

* Would "Presentation Paper" made for color laser printers work better?

* How about "card stock" paper? Sam's has it in bulk, and IIRC it wasn't that much more expensive than plain paper. But it might be pretty bad at swelling.

* A "hold your nose" work-around might be getting an A3+ printer like the Canon Pixma Pro 9000-2, that easily accepts paper up to 13" wide. But it is bulky. There are tons of barely used and NIB on CraigsList.

* I wouldn't get a used printer from Amazon or eBay, sight unseen, but I'd consider a NIB (new in box). But shipping could be high.

* If the amount of printing isn't very much, perhaps you could arrange to print at an alternative location, further from the ocean. Do you work away from the ocean?

* Could you keep the paper stored such that it wasn't exposed to humidity very much, until right before you used it? Or purchase the paper JIT (just in time)?

* Could you get actual A4 paper, which I believe is somewhat smaller than USA letter size? Is it narrower?

* Just checked ... Letter size is about 220 x 280 mm. A4 is 210 x 297 mm ... definitely narrower, but a bit taller. Would that work?
A4 Paper size in mm, cm, inches & pixels | A4 Size

Ask a Question