User unable to scan with MFC-7860DW

A small business customer has been using a Brother MFC-7860DW for some time for printing and scanning. Now one of the users is unable to do scans using the Brother CC4 software. He can print to it just fine. No one else is having a problem.

The error he gets says:
Scanning failed.

Please try to scan the image again, if the error happens again please restart your computer, then try to scan again.

(CC4-205-00000002)

I saw he had 3 instances of the MFC installed so I removed all mappings and uninstalled all Brother software then rebooted. I downloaded a fresh copy of the complete software package from Brother and installed it without error.

The error persists. I downloaded and ran a TwainReset tool and rebooted. Tried scanning again, same error.

I can use the Windows Fax and Scan program just fine. But it doesn't have the options he wants that the Brother software has.

At this point I'm stumped. I've never run into this error before and any other Brother issues I've had were always resolved removing and reinstalling the software and MFD.

All computers in this office are running Windows 10 and were upgraded from Windows 7 2 years ago. They are running the Anniversary version, none are running the Creator's Update version. They're all updated as far as patches goes.

So what else is there to do in this case? I'm sure it has nothing to do with Windows 10 as all others don't have a problem and his was working fine till today.

The troubleshooting guide I was using at https://help.brother-usa.com/app/an...rror:-cc4-205,-tw006-or-tw007---windows#step3 which states at the end that if all the suggestions don't fix it, then there's a registry problem. But no registry fix is provided, only a suggestion to use Paper Port.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Scanning issues… Try the HP scanning software. Works great on Brother printers.

Please try this scan solution:
HP Scan Extended

For Windows: ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/scanners/HPScanExt/HPScanExt.msi
Cut and paste this

Once it's downloaded and installed, go to Start > All Programs > HP > HP Scan Extended > Run "HP Scan Extended"

Make searchable PDFs scans with this free scanning software - https://www.naps2.com/

Try this:

1. Turn off the printer
  2. Uninstall the software on the PC and restart the PC
  3. Turn on the printer
  4. Connect to it with the PC and let it install the drivers
If it doesn't work after this, I'll be inclined to feel it's a hardware problem. If it does, then we would need to look at software configuration and what may have been changed to cause it to fail.

Scanning issues… Try the HP scanning software. Works great on Brother printers.

Please try this scan solution:
HP Scan Extended

For Windows: ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/scanners/HPScanExt/HPScanExt.msi
Cut and paste this

Once it's downloaded and installed, go to Start > All Programs > HP > HP Scan Extended > Run "HP Scan Extended"

Make searchable PDFs scans with this free scanning software - https://www.naps2.com/
Thank you so much! This worked beautifully and we were able to configure it just as the customer wanted and he is very happy. Thanks again!

Try this:

1. Turn off the printer
  2. Uninstall the software on the PC and restart the PC
  3. Turn on the printer
  4. Connect to it with the PC and let it install the drivers
If it doesn't work after this, I'll be inclined to feel it's a hardware problem. If it does, then we would need to look at software configuration and what may have been changed to cause it to fail.
I had already done all of that before I posted here. The issue is resolved with the HP software.

Ask a Question