what is the solution they use to clean a jet printer head?

I own a HP C309a Printer. I believe that my poor print quality is due to one or more clogged jets. I ordered some "Printhead Cleaner, Original Print Head Clog Buster / 4 oz. bottle" from Amazon.com The company told me to soak the print head for one hour. I think I left it in the solution for longer then that. I used some can air to blow through the jets. Then I set the printer to clean the jets. I did several print outs like this. Gradually the print quality improved. The colors became more solid. However I had still on skinny black line going through each color. The company says that if it doesn't fix it the first time, then clean it again. The sad part is for $19.95 you only get 4 oz of solution. It takes all 4 oz to soak the head just one time! I know there is some cheaper cleaning solution out there, however I'm not sure it's a good idea for me to spend even that much money on a 3 year old printer. Also I've seen cleaning kits that are more expensive. One I saw went for $30.00 I was wondering if any of you knew what this chemical is? I know it has no smell. Also I was wondering if I could substitute Isopropyl Alcohol for soaking the head.

Ask a Question