Why are the Computer To Film's not used anymore ?

So i was trying to find why the CTF's weren't used anymore, but i couldn't find any responses, my guess would be that the film that they were using wast reusable, but i am unsure about it, any one who could clear me up on that subject ?

Most of that sort of thing is skipping the film nowadays and using direct computer-to-plate.

D

Deleted member 14725

So i was trying to find why the CTF's weren't used anymore, but i couldn't find any responses, my guess would be that the film that they were using wast reusable, but i am unsure about it, any one who could clear me up on that subject ?
Cost? speed? CTF required space, chemicals, room temperature control, and couldn't be operated just after turning on the machine "in cold", they also require calibration; these factors would vary depending the brand and model, and time is a factor too. THEN you would need to create the plates.

CTP creates the plates directly saving you from all of that (even if the machine also requires temperature control, calibration, etc). Besides the plates can be easily reused or repurposed, some people buy them to create boxes, removable bottom of cages for birds, etc. IF the company owns a flatbed printer (for advertising) they could easily reuse the plates.

For reference, I worked on 3 printing related companies, one being a lithography (with modern equipment for advertising and fine paper printing), and also on two newspapers covering news-paper, books, and also fine paper. The jump from CTF to CTP sure saved time, chemicals, maintenance, etc. I'm curious on what you mention here regarding the film, as I honestly never saw them reusing it, instead it would go straight to the bin, but that's regarding those cases, I'm curious if the film can be reused at all.

Ask a Question