Will watercolor application change print quality?

Can anyone help, please ...

I'm considering purchasing an EcoTank ET-8550 with Claria (Premium?) inks. I'm planning to embellish the print with water based applications, eg watercolor paints.

1) If I add a watercolor wash to areas of, say, an Epson heavyweight, matte paper, will it change a subsequent print? I will not let the paper wrinkle/cockle, nor will the watercolor be intense. It will likely be a thin wash. I would not expect to be soaking the paper either. I appreciate this is not necessarily an easy question to answer - unless of course somebody has actually done it :) -, but I'm thinking that if anyone has one of the Claria based printers, a scrap piece of similar paper, pre-wetted, would probably help to guide me understand how it might perform.

2) Again with the heavyweight, matte style paper. After printing (likely B&W/mono/duotone), how might the image respond to being wetted? Again not soaked, but rather washed over with a glaze.

I suppose a little degradation in the print quality would be ok, as this will be an organic/experimental process. If it completely changes the print quality, that wouldn't be so good.

Many thanks

PS. I have not used Epson printers before, so when I approached the Epson support for questions I was hopeful they'd actually be able to help. So far my experience has not been very positive. Not reading the question and giving what appears to be stock answers has been the norm. Not impressed.

Ask a Question