Are ink-jet photo printers any good on plain paper?

As is to be the nature of life (mine at least), it seems that my printer requirements are becoming something of a moving target.

I was (am?) still interested in a black and white all-in-one laser printer for 'general' use and had intended getting a colour ink-jet to do any photo printing that was required and also print onto CD-Rs. Now it seems that colour printing on plain paper is sought by members of the family, so I have a question:

Are colour ink-jet photo printers any good for printing on plain paper? Or does the formulation of the inks make them unsuitable?

I tried different printer profiles on my canon because I got some cheap ink. Since it didn't matter how much ink I used I had a lot of fun trying to figure out what worked best on plain paper. A real PITA printing the same test picture I found online. It was quite conclusive that no matter what you do plain paper is not going to look anything like a print on good photo paper. I was able to find a good profile for printing pictures on plain paper though. After looking on ebay I was able to get 4X6 photo paper for $0.04 a sheet which made it fun for printing real photos.

Yes

Yes you can, if you just wanted to print regular documents on a photo printer you could, the quality would obviously not be as good as it would be on photo paper, but if its for everyday printing then I suppose it wouldn't need to be.

Ask a Question