Cannot print, scan etc OK

I thought I'd post this as it solved my problem. Firstly, I contacted Brother support chat and was very impressed, so much so I doubt I would ever purchase a printer from another manufacturer.

There are windows updates that can stop you printing. Here is what I received.

"There has been recent Windows 10 updates (KB4560960, KB4557957, KB4552925, KB4561608) that has caused issues with printing. Until Microsoft release a new update to resolve this issue, you will need to uninstall these recent updates in order to be able to print from your computer.

We recommend that you contact Microsoft Support for assistance with uninstalling the update and turning off automatic updates for the time being. However, the steps are below if you would like to uninstall the update yourself.
  • Click the Windows Start menu and then click Settings
  • Click on Update & security
  • Click on Windows Update on the left and then on View update history.
  • On the next screen, click on Uninstall updates
  • On the next screen, the list of installed updates will appear. Scroll to the heading of Microsoft Windows and select the update for KB4560960 and then click the Uninstall button at the top of the list. Repeat this for KB4552925, KB4557957 and KB4561608 If they are in the list.

Restart the computer after the updates been uninstalled and you should then be able to print. Note that if Windows automatically reinstalls this update that you will then not be able to print again, so we recommend to turn off automatic updates until Microsoft releases a fix for this issue."

I only had KB4560960 installed, removed this update, rebooted, now I can print as normal. I've halted automatic updates for 28 days, hopefully Microsoft have fixed the issue by then. If you don't halt updates then there is a good chance one of these updates will be applied and may stop you printing. You would need to repeat the process.

Ask a Question