Cheap Black Only Volume Printer or Refilled Ink?

Hi, this is my first post :)

I'm looking for a cheap printer just to print black only mostly text and sometimes coupons. I print about 500-750 pages a month.

I currently have a HP Office jet Pro 8600 Plus. I love all the scanning features and the WiFi aspect, but the ink is a fortune.
Should I be afraid to put generic or refilled Black ink cartridges for this purpose until I buy a dedicated Black printer? I tried buying some from a very highly rated Ebay retailer and 1 of the 4 cartridges was defective so I didn't want to risk breaking the print head and I returned them for a refund. I don't know where to buy from if I get refills.

Thanks so much for your input! ;)

I would recommend Epson but that's just my preference and I'd recommend using a CISS system. My ink runs me about 26 cents per cartridge equivalent or on average each page is under half a cent. The paper costs more than the ink and that's saying a lot because paper is cheap. If this is an option you'd be interested in, send me a PM and I can give you all the details (how to make the printer last, how to setup the CISS properly with some tricks, a quick modification to your printer that will allow you to use it for years at mass volume & sustaining quality). Either that or you might want to look into a laser printer.

Black only needed

It sounds like you need something that will continue only in black. I would suggest getting as cheap laser printer. There are quite a few on the market and a used one in good condition will preform quite adequately for what you appear to want. If your present printer is an all in one or does something special that you need, keep it and just add the Laser. Then you have the best of both worlds.
I see this is an old post that I am responding to. If you have already solved the problem, just ignore this. Good luck.

I am also looking for a black and white printer but was wondering if they made them in the all in one type.
I also have a HP8600 Plus that I love the features but OEM ink is crazy expensive. I tried some non OEM ink
but it won't recognize it as full. It comes back with only 10% full. The company I bought the ink from sent me
a free replacement color and I get the same results, about 10% full. To make matters worse I do a couple prints
and now its telling me that color needs replacing. I know there is ink in the cartridge.
This printer won't let me scan to email if it needs ink.

So, would there be a all in one that just prints black and white and uses cheap ink jet cartridges.

Thanks
Ken

One should buy a laser printer like the hp using 285a cartridge. The cartridges can be bought on ebay for about 7 pounds. Toner can be bought for 24 pounds a kilo from topinks which will last for many thousand of pages.
It can be refilled very often at least 20 times and shouldnt take more than five minutes.
There are two dowels on the cartridge which have to be taken out and that splits it in two halves.
Then open a screw and take off the toner bar being careful where the 'end' is. Put the toner in. Put the toner bar back in the same place and screw it back.
Put the two halves back being careful which dowel to put first. The left one first is a lot easier and thats all there is to it.
If you have to open the other half like about every five times its even easier.

Ask a Question