Converting to Dye-Sublimation

Discussion in 'Printer Discussion' started by Max Resolution, Mar 22, 2020.

1. Max Resolution

Max Resolution

So I just bought an Epson XP-6100 for it's print to CD/DVD/Blu Ray feature and got it at a discounted price....I have heard and seen examples of something called dye-sublimation printing and have read general stuff from google searches that some Epson printers can be converted to it. The examples of dye-sublimation printing I have seen have been stunning. Vivid color and sharpness like I've never seen (although I don't know if an Epson printer was used or a commercial printer...it was a small 6 by 8 " print.) Anyway, could the printer I got be converted to that, and would I still be able to print to CD/DVD if I did?

Thanks

Max Resolution, Mar 22, 2020
    1. Advertisements

2. Max Resolution

exploradorgt

Yes to everything. But...

Sublimation ink can only be used on piezo print heads (like Epson and Brother), they are activated by HEAT, converted into "vapor" you could say. Yes you could print on paper and DVD, etc. The thing is the final output will suck as the colors will be lifeless and opaque, that... until you use heat (very high temperature) to release and fix the color.

The usual method is you print on special paper and then you apply it to a special surface and use a heat press. Can you print directly to normal paper and dvd? yes, but as mentioned... it will not look cool or ok, far from it. Can you print on normal paper and then apply heat? yes and it will look ok.

You might be having mixed information on sublimation and pigment inks perhaps.

exploradorgt, Mar 30, 2020 at 5:55 AM
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question