Converting to Dye-Sublimation

So I just bought an Epson XP-6100 for it's print to CD/DVD/Blu Ray feature and got it at a discounted price....I have heard and seen examples of something called dye-sublimation printing and have read general stuff from google searches that some Epson printers can be converted to it. The examples of dye-sublimation printing I have seen have been stunning. Vivid color and sharpness like I've never seen (although I don't know if an Epson printer was used or a commercial printer...it was a small 6 by 8 " print.) Anyway, could the printer I got be converted to that, and would I still be able to print to CD/DVD if I did?

Thanks

D

Deleted member 14725

So I just bought an Epson XP-6100 for it's print to CD/DVD/Blu Ray feature and got it at a discounted price....I have heard and seen examples of something called dye-sublimation printing and have read general stuff from google searches that some Epson printers can be converted to it. The examples of dye-sublimation printing I have seen have been stunning. Vivid color and sharpness like I've never seen (although I don't know if an Epson printer was used or a commercial printer...it was a small 6 by 8 " print.) Anyway, could the printer I got be converted to that, and would I still be able to print to CD/DVD if I did?

Thanks
Yes to everything. But...

Sublimation ink can only be used on piezo print heads (like Epson and Brother), they are activated by HEAT, converted into "vapor" you could say. Yes you could print on paper and DVD, etc. The thing is the final output will suck as the colors will be lifeless and opaque, that... until you use heat (very high temperature) to release and fix the color.

The usual method is you print on special paper and then you apply it to a special surface and use a heat press. Can you print directly to normal paper and dvd? yes, but as mentioned... it will not look cool or ok, far from it. Can you print on normal paper and then apply heat? yes and it will look ok.

You might be having mixed information on sublimation and pigment inks perhaps.

Yes to everything. But...

Sublimation ink can only be used on piezo print heads (like Epson and Brother), they are activated by HEAT, converted into "vapor" you could say. Yes you could print on paper and DVD, etc. The thing is the final output will suck as the colors will be lifeless and opaque, that... until you use heat (very high temperature) to release and fix the color.

The usual method is you print on special paper and then you apply it to a special surface and use a heat press. Can you print directly to normal paper and dvd? yes, but as mentioned... it will not look cool or ok, far from it. Can you print on normal paper and then apply heat? yes and it will look ok.

You might be having mixed information on sublimation and pigment inks perhaps.

Interesting, thanks for that info!

Hi all,

Does anyone know where I can get a dye sublimation print done? I need the print left on the transfer paper and then will transfer it myself. We have purchased dye sublimation equipment/inks before and done printing in-house but our equipment is not working and this is not what we do, so looking to have it outsourced. Most dye-sub printers print onto products (t-shirts, mugs, etc.) and are confused about my request. My initial tests require just a few letter-size dye sublimation prints. If successful then could be hundreds to thousands. Any freelancers with a dye-sublimation printer?

thanks much for any assistance.

Hi all,

Does anyone know where I can get a dye sublimation print done? I need the print left on the transfer paper and then will transfer it myself. We have purchased dye sublimation equipment/inks before and done printing in-house but our equipment is not working and this is not what we do, so looking to have it outsourced. Most dye-sub printers print onto products sublimationprinterhub (t-shirts, mugs, etc.) and are confused about my request. My initial tests require just a few letter-size dye sublimation prints. If successful then could be hundreds to thousands. Any freelancers with a dye-sublimation printer?

thanks in advance for any help

So I just bought an Epson XP-6100 for it's print to CD/DVD/Blu Ray feature and got it at a discounted price....I have heard and seen examples of something called dye-sublimation printing and have read general stuff from google searches that some Epson printers can be converted to it. The examples of sublimation printing I have seen have been stunning. Vivid color and sharpness like I've never seen (although I don't know if an Epson printer was used or a commercial printer...it was a small 6 by 8 " print.) Anyway, could the printer I got be converted to that, and would I still be able to print to CD/DVD if I did?

Thanks
To everything, yes. But...

Only piezo print heads (such those from Epson and Brother) can employ sublimation ink, which is activated by heat and transformed into "vapour." Yes, you could print on paper, DVD, and other media. The problem is that the end product will be dreadful since the colours will be lifeless and opaque unless you use heat (very high temperatures) to release and fix the colour.

Printing on specific paper and then applying it to a particular surface using a heat press is the standard procedure. Is it possible to print straight on regular paper and DVD? Yes, but, as previously said, it will not appear cool or acceptable. Is it possible to print on regular paper and then heat it? yes
and everything will be OK.

It's possible that you're getting conflicting information about sublimation and pigment inks.

Thanks
Indeed to everything. Yet...

Sublimation ink must be utilized on piezo print heads (like Epson and Brother), they are actuated by HEAT, changed over into "fume" you could say. Indeed you could print on paper and DVD, and so forth The thing is the last result will suck as the tones will be inert and obscure, that... until you use heat (exceptionally high temperature) to delivery and fix the shading.

The standard strategy is you print on extraordinary paper and afterward you apply it to a unique surface and utilize a hotness press. Would you be able to print straightforwardly to typical paper and dvd? indeed, yet at the same as referenced... it won't look cool or alright, a long way from it. Would you be able to print on typical paper and afterward apply heat? indeed and it will look alright.

You may be having blended data on sublimation and color inks maybe.

Indeed to everything. Yet...

Sublimation ink must be utilized on piezo print heads (like Epson and Brother), they are actuated by HEAT, changed over into "fume" you could say. Indeed you could print on paper and DVD, and so forth The thing is the last result will suck as the tones will be inert and obscure, that... until you use heat (exceptionally high temperature) to delivery and fix the shading.

The standard strategy is you print on extraordinary paper and afterward you apply it to a unique surface and utilize a hotness press. Would you be able to print straightforwardly to typical paper and dvd? indeed, yet at the same as referenced... it won't look cool or alright, a long way from it. Would you be able to print on typical paper and afterward apply heat? indeed and it will look alright.

You may be having blended data on sublimation and color inks maybe.
hm

If your Dye sublimation printer is brand new and has never been used, you may start utilising our inks right away. The Epson cartridges that came with the printer should not be used. Install a set of suitable sublimation cartridges or a set of refillable cartridges with our bottled ink instead.

You can start using our inks right away if your dye sublimation printer is brand new and has never been used before. It is not recommended that you use the Epson cartridges that come with your printer. Instead, install a set of sublimation cartridges or refillable cartridges with our bottled ink. For more information about click on the link and go to printerflash.

Last edited:
Hi all,

Does anyone know where I can get a dye sublimation print done? I need the print left on the transfer paper and then will transfer it myself. We have purchased dye sublimation equipment/inks before and done printing in-house but our equipment is not working and this is not what we do, so looking to have it outsourced. Most dye-sub printers print onto products cost effective sublimation printing(t-shirts, mugs, etc.) and are confused about my request. My initial tests require just a few letter-size dye sublimation prints. If successful then could be hundreds to thousands. Any freelancers with a dye-sublimation printer?

no response of this

So I just purchased an Epson ET-2760 for it's print to CD/DVD/Blue Ray highlight and got it at a limited price....I have heard and seen instances of something many refer to as color sublimation printing and have perused general stuff from google look through that some Epson printers can be changed over completely to it. The generic instances of dye sublimation printing I have seen have been dazzling. Striking tone and sharpness such that I will probably never see again (despite the fact that I couldn't say whether an Epson printer was utilized or a business printer...it was a little 6 by 8 " print.) Anyway, could the printer I got be switched over completely to that, and could I actually have the option to print to CD/DVD in the event that I did?

Hi all,

Does anyone know where I can get a dye sublimation print done? I need the print left on the transfer paper and then will transfer it myself. We have purchased dye sublimation equipment/inks before and done printing in-house but our equipment is not working and this is not what we do, so looking to have it outsourced. Most dye-sub printers print onto products (t-shirts, mugs, etc.) and are confused about my request. My initial tests require just a few letter-size dye sublimation prints. If successful then could be hundreds to thousands. Any freelancers with a dye-sublimation printer?

I will suggest to go with Canon or HP products if you have a less budget, but if you have good budget then you can consider the Brother.

So I just bought an Epson XP-6100 for its print-to-CD/DVD/Blu-Ray feature and got it at a discounted price. I have heard and seen examples of something called dye-sublimation printing and have read general stuff from google searches that some Epson printers can be converted to it. The examples of dye-sublimation printing I have seen have been stunning. Vivid color and sharpness like I've never seen (although I don't know if an Epson printer was used or a commercial printer...it was a small 6 by 8 " print.) Anyway, could the printer I got to be converted to that, and would I still be able to print to CD/DVD if I did?

Thanks
I also wanted to convert my Epson printer into a dye sublimation printer, but always got misled until I found the website Printinsublimation.com. It has an article written on how to convert an Epson printer into a dye sublimation printer. It has a very brief and easy method by which you can easily convert your Epson printer to a sublimation printer.

D

Deleted member 14725

Hi all,

Several ideas a bit mixed here.

Where? depends on where you live, you could try searching on FB, craiglist or even Youtube for people who do sublimation and see who is in your area. I've seen on diff countries some commercial malls having kiosks offering these services right away, even at the Walmart's exit/entrance.

As I understand you just need the /art images printed on paper and you will do the rest, and if things go well it will involve more requests and work. If that's the case, and the piece of work is small, you could solve this buying a cheap Epson/Brother printer and do it yourself, depending where you live you can get them for cheap even 2nd hand, or perhaps expensive, again it depends on where you live.

Dye? that's why I said several ideas mixed. There are products that allow you to use a regular printer (no sublimation ink required), but then you will need heat transfer, even Office Depot offers this service, but it's a thin layer that gets the ink and then heat transferred entirely to the fabric. It's not cheap, but it's fast and might solve an urgent job.

Dye are very diff to sublimation ink, Dye refers mostly to water based ink that will go away when you wash your product. BTW, if you are just testing and making prototypes, as in "demo tshirt", you could try printing to wax paper and then pressing to the fabric, this transfer the image using any printer, it's a bit tricky and the ink will go away when washed but at least it's something you can do at home/office to solve an urgent demo job. Like this (yes, it works with color images too) but then again, it's temporary

Ask a Question