Do inkjet printers need to print at some minimal level in order to avoid printing problems?

I'm looking at purchasing a Brother MFC-J6935DW color inkjet printer (or something similar if not that one). Its printing function will be lightly used. Do inkjet printers need to print at some minimal level in order to avoid printing problems?

Thanks.

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
I realize you asked this question three months ago, but the question is relevant to me. Yes, you do have to use any printer regularly to avoid ink clogs. I've been searching for a new printer, and on one site there was a question/answer setup to determine which printer would be best. The minimum number of daily prints category was 3 to 5 pages. My print use is much less, so I have decided it would be best for me to print out both a color and a black & white page once or twice a week, i.e. every Monday and Thursday. Set the quality to Text instead of Photo for the color, and Draft for black & white text, and use plain paper.
Should you have a problem with ink flow try printing on Best Photo setting instead of doing a Head Cleaning. A single Head Cleaning on my Epson used about 1/8 of the total ink in the cartridges. Best Photo printing uses very little ink in comparison.

Thanks for that info. Having no response to my initial posting, I inquired of Brother tech support. This is their response to the minimal printing question:

"After reviewing some information I was able to confirm that we don't have a minimum monthly duty for the machine, because even if you don't use the machine it will perform regular cleanings to the print head to ensure the print quality of the machine and avoid the ink tubes to get air or get clogged. Please make sure that you leave the machine always turned "ON" and with enough ink installed so the printer can perform these cleanings when needed."

Hopefully the Brother tech guy is right. Although in my situation I print a minimum of 3-5 pages per week, so the printer does not sit dormant for weeks on end.

Ask a Question