Epson EcoTank L355 - run out of paper error on photo paper

I swapped my Canon A3 printer last year for an Epson EcoTank L355 which up to now has produced excellent, pin-sharp and ink-economical, results. However, it has recently started to refuse to print on photo paper - when the mood takes it. Press "print" - "I've run out of paper." No, you haven't. Take out all 6 sheets of photo paper, put in one sheet - press print, out comes a blank sheet. "I've run out of paper." OK, put in half a dozen sheets, again, press print. Sometimes, a grating noise, out comes a blank sheet. "I've run out of paper." Put in a sheet of plain, i.e. non-photo, paper on top of photo paper, press print x 2, hey presto, first picture on plain paper and "I've run out of paper." . Occasionally, a sheet of photo paper will begin to feed in, start to skew sideways, then stop. (This was the start of the problems that led to the replacement of the Canon.) The only possible potential cause I can think is that the new packet of Kodak paper is somehow not suiting the printer, e.g. is too thick, or something wrong with the cut edges - makes no difference which way up. (??). Then again, it will suddenly print perfectly.
What is going on here? The pc is downstairs, the printer upstairs - my legs, patience and sanity are giving out... HELP!!!

Check paper tray edge guards. Photo paper must not be held tightly in tray. Leave just slight clearance on sides & end guards of paper tray. Be sure sheets of paper are flat when inserted in tray. Cupping of paper sheets creates problems. "Grating Noise" scares me.

These links may be helpful:

https://ifixit-guide-pdfs.s3.amazonaws.com/pdf/ifixit/guide_41921_en.pdf

and these links, though not specific to photo paper:

https://www.google.com/search?q=eps.....1.1.64.psy-ab..0.3.477...0i13k1.VoslcjRva9Q

Last edited:
Check paper tray edge guards. Photo paper must not be held tightly in tray. Leave just slight clearance on sides & end guards of paper tray. Be sure sheets of paper are flat when inserted in tray. Cupping of paper sheets creates problems. "Grating Noise" scares me. Good luck with it.
Could be. Just printed the photo after "jiggling" the guards (again). Shall watch the edges carefully from now on. Thanks for your response.

Ask a Question