Epson P6000 clogged head detected.

Wondering if anyone else is experiencing this problem.

I am getting a message on the printer that it has detected a clogged head. The printer often goes into a clean operation before printing. I am not noticing any problem with the resulting prints but I'm going through a lot of ink.

When I run a nozzle check there is no indication of a clogged head. When I run a manual clean it goes through the process to the point of reaching 99% and then gives me a message cleaning failed.

This problem is new and only appeared after I ran the required firmware update because of Epsons change to the ink cartridge. I never had the issue before that.

Printer Epson P6000 Standard edition
Software Epson Print Layout
Computer Mac with 14.2.1 O/S

Any help or suggestions appreciated.

This problem is new and only appeared after I ran the required firmware update because of Epsons change to the ink cartridge. I never had the issue before that.
This looks like your problem.
Downgrade the firmware back to what it was if you can.

This looks like your problem.
Downgrade the firmware back to what it was if you can.
Not sure I understand. This is how to upgrade the firmware which is what I did and that is when the problem developed. if I go back to the previous firmware (which I'm not sure I can do) the new inks will not work. Can you clarify?

I checked through our firmware downgrade software and could not find one for that printer unfortunately. It looks like the firmware update does cause issues printing with even genuine cartridges. Which is when you stated the problem started happening. Have you checked anything manually yet?

I have:
messaged Epson
confirmed I have the correct firmware version for my printer
and turned off automatic cleaning (hopefully this will help save ink)

Have you tried manually cleaning your printhead if there is a clog somewhere in the ink system?
I have run a nozzle check and there is no indication of a clogged head. I have also run both the normal and heavy head cleaning per my original message. Currently waiting to see what Epson have to say.

Response from Epson:
"Looks like what is happening is the section that is responsible for the auto nozzle check is malfunctioning. In the "Printer Set Up menu setting: you should be able to turn off the auto nozzle check. If not you will require service."

I had the same issue. Here's how I resolved it:
  1. Run a nozzle check to ensure there's no indication of a clogged head.
  2. Perform a manual clean, but if it fails, try a power cleaning.
  3. Check for any firmware updates that might address the issue.

Ask a Question