Epson Stylus Photo R2000 - end of lifespan?

I have an Epson Stylus Photo R2000 printer purchased in 2012. Admittedly, I have not done much maintenance other than head cleaning using the Epson utility program. I have also printed mostly grayscale documents using plain paper. For some time I have had problems with attempting to print colour photos in spite of doing repeated head cleaning. Grayscale printing has not been an issue until yesterday after being idle for about a month, the printer printed one page, then stopped. The Add Paper and low ink lights flash alternately and the utility program indicates service required. The cartridge unit does not move when turned on.
I looked inside and found that the waste ink pad beneath the roller was very full. I suspect that the waste system is totally clogged. I have not found a source of help for disassembly and replacement of this pad. Before sending this printer to recycling, I thought I would reach out and ask if there is any possibility trying to repair it myself? The cost of shipping this unit to a service facility and then servicing it would would likely exceed the printer's current value. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Ask a Question