Epson Workforce 845 Scanner pulling paper in crooked

So, I'm a computer tech, so I'm not completely dumb with computers. I mostly am a system admin, but also repair desktops and laptops as needed around the office. One thing I'm not though is a printer tech. I took some classes in it, but never was good at it and never really tried.

Well my home Epson Workforce 845 all in one printer has a scanner with a feeder on the top. Well, it keeps on pulling in the paper slightly sideways. I always make sure the guides are pushed up to the paper on the sides and it still pulls sideways.

I just opened the cover to see the rollers. I was expecting to see two rollers on the sides expecting one to be maybe worn. I heard of "massaging the rollers" to sometimes get them to pick up the paper better. Well, there isn't two rollers on the sides. There are two rollers in the center. Would it make sense the rollers being bad would cause the paper to pull crooked if it is in the center? Maybe just one side of the roller is bad? Maybe I just need to replace the rollers? Is there anything else I should be looking for that would cause this?

Epson crooked scans

Hi Dorlow,

Your post came up when I googled "Epson crooked scans"--it's been awhile, but

did you ever learn anything to do to resolve the problem? I have Epson Workforce

645 and it does the same thing, despite tucking the paper in tightly, as you did.

Thanks!

Susan

Old question, but I also just saw it and am providing an old answer.

Cleaning rollers with 90% isopropyl alcohol, or just plain rubbing alcohol if that's all that's handy, is a long standing tip for solving paper alignment problems. Printer rollers pick up coatings of various things over time that unevenly reduce friction. Also make sure there are not bits of torn paper or excess paper dust in odd corners of the paper path. Blow out with canned air.

On 845's you also need to remove the back part of the printer to also get the roller mounted there along with those within the printer. Don't just focus on large rollers... there are also small hard to see rollers. Handle with care if these have tassels, or other fragile things, associated with them.

Use quality cotton fabric (old t-shirt) - lintless is best. Push wet, but not dripping, cloth against roller with finger. One tip: use a very high quality cotton swap to get at the difficult to access parts you can not otherwise reach.

What I do is remove all paper trays and then request a printer action that attempts a paper feed. Notice which way the rollers spin then arrange to wipe the leading, not trailing, edge of the rollers as they spin. You must not let your cloth, or swap, be pulled into the "intake" side.

For rollers you can remove from the printer, or easily turn by hand, just rub with wet cloth in a bit of sideways movement. Push partly in direction of spin to move the roller and partly across to get crosswise friction to improve cleaning.

Ask a Question