Epson WorkForce WF-3640 Recovery or Program Update Mode

Does anyone know how to enter the Program Update Mode, also known as Recovery Mode on an Epson WF-3640?

This is to back up the firmware to an older version, which I have found, so that all cartridges will be recognized. I made the mistake of allowing the newest firmware "upgrade" and now, contrary to most users' experience, the printer won't recognize brand new Epson cartridges which I bought in hopes of solving a print quality problem. Yet it still recognizes the off-brand cartridges which seems very self-defeating for Epson.

I have found instructions for entering Recovery Mode for other models but they are not applicable to the WF-3640 and I have guessed at a number of startup combinations to no avail. Thanks for any relevant help.

Hold: stop, 1, home, power.
Works on the 3620 but I think the 3640 is the same.

Attachments

• 20180331_014111.jpg
    20180331_014111.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 730
Does anyone know how to enter the Program Update Mode, also known as Recovery Mode on an Epson WF-3640?

This is to back up the firmware to an older version, which I have found, so that all cartridges will be recognized. I made the mistake of allowing the newest firmware "upgrade" and now, contrary to most users' experience, the printer won't recognize brand new Epson cartridges which I bought in hopes of solving a print quality problem. Yet it still recognizes the off-brand cartridges which seems very self-defeating for Epson.

I have found instructions for entering Recovery Mode for other models but they are not applicable to the WF-3640 and I have guessed at a number of startup combinations to no avail. Thanks for any relevant help.
Might suggest checkout youtube video BCH Technologies; pretty sure I saw something you have to press and hold finger on upper top right corner of display while powering on; you have to continue holding finger pressure on the op right display while waiting for display.
It seems very easy if you watch the video for the WF-3640 specifically. I think it's much the same for converting to Chipless cartridge! ref: inkchip.net

One question; like many others with WF-3640 I already got the political speech from Epson stating the printer is out of warranty, am I using OEM cartridges and every other political response to suggest there is a problem with the printer and the firmware update does not cause any problem if you are using genuine cartridges.
They deny any issue is relevant even if the "New" OEM cartridges ink levels drop to low ink warning after (3) cleaning cycles....

1) Can you Please attach or message me the suggested "original firmware" Epson WF-3640 which you found?
2) Do you happen to know what version/region of this firmware ?

Unfortunately I didn't catch the automatic firmware update before it was already in process of the "Forced" Automatic Update. There is however a good video on refilling OEM Epson cartridge

WF-3640 WF-4630 WF-4640 WF-5690 WF-5620 PX-M840F WF-R5690 PX-M741F
  • Turn off the printer then press HOME + "1" + STOP + POWER simultaneously within one minute.
  • Printer LCD will display "FW Update Mode" or "Program Update Mode" in WHITE colour.
  • Update devices list and select proper firmware, then click "update" button.
  • When firmware update is completed confirm that new firmware version is displayed on the LCD.
  • Press button "0" to turn off the printer.

In Your case - try to make your printer - CHIPLESS

If you have older firmware version for the Epson WF-3640 could you please message me or post link for the older version firmware, and maybe help many others alike to reduce E-waste.......

As you can see in attachment WIC utility supports firmwares from 2016 ad 2018
Also is supported firmware with disabled ink cartridges

Attachments

• 121.png
    121.png
    546.8 KB · Views: 39

Ask a Question