HELP! Ink cartridges for Epson Stylus Pro 3850 vs 3800

Hi everyone -- frustrating question. I bought an Epson Stylus Pro 3850 when I lived in Singapore. This is the same model as the 3800 in the US, just a different number, as I understand.

I have since moved back to the US and was using the printer as a 3850 just fine. Eventually, I needed to buy new cartridges, which I did -- though they were branded for the 3800. (These are genuine Epson products.) I was assured that they would work; they fit perfectly; and aside from a slightly different product number they appear identical (e.g., for the "Light Cyan", the prior cartridges are T5895, the new ones are T5805).

Well (and I am sure are surprised to hear this), I get an error message "INK CARTRIDGE ERROR" when I try to use one of them.

Googled around and there does not appear an easy fix. I tried updating drivers and firmware, and convincing the printer it is a 3800 not a 3850. No luck. So now, I am stuck with a printer for which I have no cartridges, and a bunch of cartridges for no printer. Nice!

Any advice much welcome!

Ask a Question