Help me choose a plain inkjet printer

Folks,

My wife's HP 712c doesn't work with Win 7 (which is on her new computer) so I need to find a replacement. We don't need a copier/fax/scanner (we already have those much better standalone), just a simple inkjet that can print on card stock so she can do her greeting cards (a hobby -- she prints maybe 5-10 a month except during the holiday season when she sends out 50).

TIA for any suggestions.

Black Friday.
Walmart usually has an HP printer for $20.00.
A basic inkjet printer.
I usually purchase one as a spare.

Black Friday has gone now.

This same printer is now $34.00 at Wall/mart.

I'd be inclined to avoid the really inexpensive inkjet printers. They typically have a "combined head plus ink reservoir" with multiple dye colors in one cartridge. And a separate cartridge for text using black pigment.

When one color runs out, you need to buy a complete replacement ... including the print-head itself.

With really low print volume (like yours), then I suppose it doesn't matter much. But I'd look for ways to having the printing done by Sams / Costco / Walmart / Walgreens / etc. and get out of the printing business.

You'll find "the next step" up to a printer with four dye colors in separate cartridges to have potentially much better print quality.

Oh, and remember to do "nozzle checks" every week or so to avoid clogs. Infrequent usage of inkjets is very hard on them as the ink can dry inside the print-head.

Ask a Question