Inkjet Costs too high

I think ink prices are far too high for what you get. I'm a student at Nottingham University and I am basing my major project on addressing this problem. Please could you answer my questionnaire, it will take no more than a couple of minutes and will help me out a lot. I love this forum and would like to hear everyone's opinion.

Thanks

surveymonkey.com/s/93KMQZ5

RE:

I don't pay for ink cartridges, haven't in years. I usually purchase Epson printers, modify the waste container to go to a reservoir and install a CISS (Continuous Ink Supply System). One cartridge worth of ink roughly runs me about 26 cents per cartridge this way and if the printer reaches the end of it's service life I can use a reset utility to reset the built in counter and replace the reservoir. I've reset one of my printers 4 times, it has been running like a champ and still is the best quality printer I've ever used and is impressive (only costed $110 when I got it) and I sold the inks from it on Ebay, didn't need them and made $40 bucks from them. It's been running for nearly 3 years straight and prints thousands of prints a week.

Also, I took the time to fill out your survey.

ink cost

I think ink prices are far too high for what you get. I'm a student at Nottingham University and I am basing my major project on addressing this problem. Please could you answer my questionnaire, it will take no more than a couple of minutes and will help me out a lot. I love this forum and would like to hear everyone's opinion.

Thanks

YES ,,the original ink cost very high.now there are a lot of compatible in market.

Thanks

I agree. I don't know why anyone buys inkjets, as you always seem to be replacing them every 5 minutes. For example, HP's CN684EE (364XL) High Capacity Cartridge produces 550 pages (a cost of approx. 2.5p per page). Yet something like say HP's Laserjet P2050 printer which also uses a High capacity cartridge (CE505X), but a is a toner rather than inkjet, produces 6500 pages (cost around 1.5p a page). a penny saving a page doesn't sound like much, but that's just comparing black (mono) cartridges. If we are talking colour, which we all use these days, then the savings on toner v's ink is even greater. For example, HP's twin pack colour inkjets CH563EE & CH564EE (301XL) cost on average, over 4p per page, yet, the HP CE320A/CE321A/CE322A/CE323A (128A) colour toners for the LaserJet Pro CM1415fn works out at around 2.5p a page: Approaching a 2p savings per page.

But of course, at the end of the day, it's fair say it costs more to purchase a laser printer over an inkjet printer, and with technology changing so quickly, a 3 year old printer can be "old hat". That said, we have a HP laserjet more than a decade old we still use: It doesn't have all the "bells & whistles" of a later machine, e.g. cableless, but its working as good as ever. Other factor's: Do you want something that just printers, or are there other considerations, e.g. size/space, appearance, photos, wireless etc, etc.

You can save on ink by buying compatible or refill yourself, but then there's a performance/quality issue versus the makers original? Or, buy second hand surplus unused printer cartridges, but be aware of "use by date".

Myself, I just hate running out at that crucial moment with no back up cartridge. That's why I now use a laser printer: It just lasts longer for less pence per page, & needs replacing less often.

Last edited:
Well, I have to say the price of current inkjet cartridges are outrageous; and especially the colored ones. The only solutions today would either be investing in a good CISS (w/ pigment ink) or a trusted compatible ink cartridge (if you're living in the USA, cotsco accepts refills).

I live in 3rd world country in Asia, where the dominant printer company is Epson. Since a few years ago, they have been releasing an original CISS printer called the L series. I have to say, it is the cheapest ink/page price rate in the world with theoretically <1p per page (that's 4000bk/6000color; whole package estimates 30 usd). The L series isn't popular outside Asia/India, mainly because outside the regions ink cartridges dominate to rake in profit. The only down sides to the printer is it has no autoduplex and its speed is quite par. Hell, if it had higher duty/work load per cycle it would be the ultimate OEM inkjet printer. The only thing this company (Epson) has to do is to implicate the CISS to their WorkForce models. In 2015, they did release inkjet printer prototype, the RIPS series which can handle 75,000 pages per cartridge/in this case bag, the printer price is pretty high although fair for the ink itself.

I just wish printer/ink companies would realize this, how inks are really burdening customer's budget. The ultimate printer for me if they actually could marry an HP officejet pro X with the prices of EPSON's CISS ink, that would be the shit.

Ebay has some excellent choices if you want to buy ink or toner still sealed in factory foil but without the retail boxes.

Ask a Question