Issue getting labels to print on MF8380Cdw

Dear Members,

I'm having an odd issue when I try to print labels on a new Canon printer.

Here are the particulars:

Windows 7, Canon drivers, Canon MF8380Cdw printer, Microsoft Word 2010.

The user has been printing labels using a label template built into Word for years on an inkjet. I recently replaced the inkjet with the Canon.

They have laser labels for the printer which are 8.5x11 in size. The user is relatively unsophisticated but can easily put labels in the paper tray for the purposes of doing this printing. They'd like to do what they've always done: open the document, put the labels in the tray, click print, bingo. This, however, is not what happens on this new printer.

When they try to print labels now, the printer wants them to use the front manual load tray instead of the bottom default tray. When labels are inserted in the front tray, the printer then demands to know what the user inserted. If they select "Labels", the job fails - the printer will only print if they select "Plain Paper".

I have spent a lot of time digging through the settings in the driver and changing various selections from "automatic" to "manual" to try to force the driver to simply print from the bottom tray when this job is printed. None of this has had any effect on this behavior. I am relatively certain that the document itself has some sort of setting that is causing the driver and printer to behave this way, but I cannot find these settings in the document anywhere.

Is anyone familiar enough with this process to point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance for your time,

H.

Ask a Question