Lexmark901 vs Brother 9440CN ink costs per page

Hi, I would love some insight into this. I've had a Brother MF 9440CN (laser, color) for quite a while but it was running out of ink recently (truly running out--not just the way it pretends its out when its not) and the ink cartridges are so expensive that I thought it might be time to buy a printer with lower costs, plus the color seems to be better on things I've seen from inkjets, so I bought a Lexmark 901 but haven't opened it yet and could still return it. The thing that's making me pause is that I ASSUMED the Lexmark inks were cheaper (they say they have the cheapest black ink cost per page of any printer and I figured the color wouldn't be too far behind) but now that I've actually done some comparisons of prices and yield, it seems like the Brother is actually cheaper. According to what I've seen on the internet:
Lexmakr 901 ink, 100XL (high yield) black is at approx. $18.00 per cartridge for 510 copies which works out to .029cts and their color cartridges can be found in a 3-pack for $55, or $18 each, producing 600 copies, so also 3cts per copy. Brother's TN115 black cartridge costs a whopping $65 but produces 5,000 copies which is only .013 per copy, and the color Brother cartridges are about $88 for 4,000 copies, or .022 per page. (I'm not looking at compatible cartridges for either of these, as generally they seem to get poor reviews). So can someone tell me if I'm missing something here, or if indeed the Brother is the better deal on ink? OR if there is truly a color printer out there that has lower ink prices (and good quality printing of course). THANK YOU!!!!!

Ask a Question