Looking for a small footprint all-in-one

My Brother MFC 490CW seems to be failing... Black got blurry and cleaning made it fade to virtually nothing so I am looking to replace it. I have a desk unit at home where the width is only about 16 inches wide and I am looking for an all-in-one printer that meets that width. I prefer to have the action (place copy on top and retrieve copy in that width and not turn the machine sideways. Any recommendations for a kinda narrow footprint?

Thanks

I'm ignorant about Brother printers, so I can't provide specifics, but some questions:

* What does a "nozzle check" look like?

* My speculation is that Brother printers use heat (like Canon and HP, but not Epson) to explode the ink, so avoid printing until the problem is resolved. Otherwise, you can fry the print-head (if that hasn't already happened).

* What is there about the current printer that you'd really, really like to improve?

* How wide of prints? I infer that letter/legal is sufficient.

* If you've been happy with the Brother printer, you'll have less to learn and wrestle with by staying with another Brother.

* It may be worth it to get the existing printer working ok. In contrast to most tech, the costs of inkjet printing has been going up in consumables. That certainly has been the case with Canon, with opaque, smaller ink capacity cartridges that individuals and ink vendors have more and more trouble with refills.

Ask a Question