New Inkjet MFP (home use)

Hi everyone,

my girlfriend's printer broke today, so we're looking for a new one for her. I want to get her a good one that's capable of WLAN and Google Cloud Print. It needs to have a scanner; fax is highly optional. We/she won't use memory cards. Direct printing from USB would be interesting. It would be really nice to have a paper tray like in laser printers. Oh, ink is a "must" (I recently read that laser printers are incredibly unhealthy).

She never prints pictures (and I wouldn't either), so color cartridges will probably dry out. I definitely want separate ink cartridges. mhh ... the scanner shouldn't be too bad.

She's always had Canon and prefers to have a Pixma again, so I looked them up and came to the following conclusion:
  • MG4250: Has no separate ink cartridges for color
  • MG3550: Has no separate ink cartridges for color
  • MG5550 & MG6450: seem to be equal. What's the difference here?
  • MG7150: looks like overkill

I also had a look at other printers like HP Photosmart 5520 (no paper tray), HP Photosmart 6520 (looks nice). Epson printers seem to be cheap, but I couldn't find too many information on these.

I haven't had a look at ink printers for about 10 years and struggle a lot with the differences. It seems like they are either huge or don't have a paper tray. Moreover, I don't know about ink prices too much (never had to care about that for my laser), or if ink still runs dry. I don't to have the burden of cleaning dawn cartridges and the like inside the printer ...

I hope you can help me out on this. I'm really thankful for any advice on this one here :)

Best,
Achim

Printers that have individual cartriges

Certain Canon printers have individual carts and will do all the things that you have mentioned plus more. Olde model like mx870 or mx892 use carts that are easily refillable. There are even places you can purchase extra carts that are empty and can then be refilled so you will always have spares on hand. Canon carts are the easiest and most economical to refill. Probably about 50cents a refill. The two I mention above are a little bit bigger then others but also provide two trays for different types or sizes of paper which sounds like what you want. Go to the Canon website for their printers where you might even find older refurbished models. Just make sure the one you choose has carts that are easy to find for refilling. If you need more help just reply back with your questions.

Hi pearlhouse,

thanks for the suggestions! How can I find out whether a printer (or rather the cart) is easily refillable? Do I have to search through Canon printers on Amazon and look for ... I don't even know what to look for :-D I've never done any cart refill, but I'd like to give it a try :)

Hi,
Brother MFC-7360N MultiFunction 5 in 1 Printer, he is a good one that's capable of WLAN and Google Cloud Print. they have a scanner; fax is highly optional. Direct printing from USB. It would be really nice.

Ask a Question