Setting UP an EPSON 4530 Pro Printer to Scan

I have an EPSON 4530 printer that prints very reliably whenever I ask it to. The WI-FI on the printer works very well.

However, when I want to scan that is a different story. I get the message that the scanner cannot communicate with the computer or something like that.

It is quite confusing. The videos on YouTube are not at all helpful on this. I have solved this issue
before and I remember it was a quick fix, but what was it, I just cannot remember.

As I said the printer works fine when printing and it works fine when copying. In scanning well that is another story.

I need a systematic procedure to troubleshoot this and I have not found one. I just have been all over the place on trying to find its cause and solution.

Any help appreciated. thanks in advance.

Respectfully,

Lou Reed

To scan and save scan to PC, must use Epson Scan software
It is Epson Scan Utility V3.7.8.4. You can get it here:

https://epson.com/Support/Printers/.../Epson-WorkForce-Pro-WP-4530/s/SPT_C11CB33201
You dont indicate your operating system. Just enter your system in drop down window at top of page and Epson will change downloads to be compatible with your system.

You can also scan directly to printer without PC. Think of it as a copy machine. See your printer manual,page 52. Printer will print directly from scanner. Believe your printer control panel has "COPY" selection for this purpose.

Get manual here:
https://files.support.epson.com/pdf/wfp4530/wfp4530ug.pdf

Last edited:
In the email shown above you give a specific link for the scanner software to the EPSON 4530 Pro Printer.

Isn't this contained in the software package for the EPSON 4530 Pro Printer? In other words why is this separated out. The software is called the scan utility V3.7.8.4. I am curious as to why the software is separated out.

Isn't it just part of the software package for this EPSON printer?
Thanks for your help.

Respectfully,

Lou Reed

Yes, Scan software should have been included on your Install CD. You indicated that scanner
could not communicate with computer, Can you see Scanner software installed already?
You should see it listed with other installed Epson applications. Look for "Epson Scan Utility".
Perhaps you interrupted the install process.

Can you COPY & PRINT without your PC? Just using the control panel on printer.
See your manual.

Let us know, should you require further assistance.

I will check. I am using Windows 10 Pro so where would I look for this installed software: Epson Scan Utility?

Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Respectfully,

Lou Reed

1. Open the Start menu.
  2. Click Settings.
  3. Click System on the Settings menu.
  4. Select Apps & features from the left pane.

Ok Lou: assume you found the Epson Scan Uility. If you could not find it, look here:
Go to Start -> All Apps -> Search for all the Epson Apps.
Did you find the Epson Scan Utility??? Now make a shortcut for it on your desktop.

See this Youtube video:

Click and hold the shortcut to drag it around your desktop.
Let go of the mouse when you have shortcut positioned where you want it.

Please respond to my questions.

You can also scan directly to printer without PC. Think of it as a copy machine. See your printer manual, page 52. Printer will print directly from scanner. Believe your printer control panel has "COPY" selection for this purpose. Just try to scan & print any single page document for this test.
(This procedure tells us that your scanner is working and likewise your printer).
Can you accomplish this task?

Right now my scan utility icon has a blue/yellow shield attached to it. That means to use it, I must have Administrator Privileges. I can be administrator, but why create the hassle? First, and foremost let me get rid f that shield.

Getting rid of the blue/yellow shield is my first priority. That should make things easier.

Any help appreciated. thanks in advance.

Respectfully,

Lou Reed

UAC Shield has been removed and the Epson Scan software for the Work Pro 4530 has been installed.

I need to know what to do next?

Respectfully,

Lou Reed

Great Lou, we are home free!!

Ok, click your Epson Scan icon on your desktop.
Mode should be "Full Auto Mode"
Click "Customize" button
Click "File Saving" button
Check Mark "Other"
Click "Browse" button and select any folder on your computer where "Saved" scans are to be deposited.
Thats your choice. (maybe My Documents or C Drive or Pictures) make new folder named "Saved Scans" in any of these locations (that will be folder inside folder).
Now close all windows except Epson Scan main window, or if you closed it, click desktop Scan icon again.
Place document or photo on your scanner glass. and click "Scan" on your Epson Scan Window
When scan is complete go to your "Saved Scan" folder and you will see your scan

Study your scanner windows and you will see the different options available to you.

We still want you to learn the "Copy" function of your printer/scanner. It so easy and very useful tool as a
"Copy Machine". Scan directly to printer without PC. Think of it as a copy machine. See your printer manual,page 52. Printer will print directly from scanner. Believe your printer control panel has "COPY" selection for this purpose.
Regards and
Let me know

But that is the problem. After I click on EPSON scan, I receive the following error. "Cannot communicate with scanner." That is the reason for this post originally.

Simply clicking on the Epson scan icon causes this error.

Respectfully,

Lou Reed

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    946.7 KB · Views: 262
Lou, please forgive me. My Epson Scan says exactly the same thing. Printer must be
turned-on, before you click Epson Scan. Is that what you are experiencing or something else?
Be sure your printer is plugged in and printer power is applied. Then click EpsonScan
Please let me know. Is USB cable plugged into PC? Did you try different USB cable?

Last edited:
Im out of gas Lou. The only thing I can think of is to un-install your printer as well as all Epson
software. I will give you step by step instructions, should you wish to proceed. You can then
proceed with fresh install from your Epson CD, following the Epson fold-out instruction sheet.

You indicate that machine copies without difficulty. Assume that means without PC. That
indicates scanner and printer functioning. What remains is the USB hookup, printer driver
and Epson software.

Its your call
Regards

Epson Scan may be set to connect via network instead of local or vice-versa.
Navigate as follows:
Start -> All Pgms -> Epson Folders -> Epson Scan -> Epson Scan Setting
Set Connection to Local or Network as appropriate in Pop-up window
Check Epson Scan now.
Advise

I checked and my printer is on. It I think is not finding the PC That s what I believe the error is. When I set it up at the printer to put it on the network. it seems that it cannot connect to m computer. This is strange since it prints just fine. Now when I say scan to pc it says there i a connection problem. This is on the Epson 4530. The windows next to the flat lass plate.

How do i establish this connection.

Respectfully,

Lu Reed

Here are two videos that may help you setup printer on network. They are not specific to
your printer model, but i imagine setup is exactly same. Since you have already installed printer driver and other Epson software, you may wish to ignore that part of videos and just concentrate on
the WIFI network portion. Also want to call your attention to my previous regarding Compatibility and Configuration settings.

and this video:

Ask a Question