[SOLVED] Brother DCP-L3550CDW - No Toner error message

Last night I moved my Brother DCP-L3550CDW off its shelf (as we had to have some repairs done in that area of the office). I put it back this morning and can’t get past the “No Toner” error message.

I have removed toner cartridges, removed drums, cleaned wires etc. several times and even reset the toner low display. and still it thinks there are no toner cartridges. Any suggestions? Thank you.

Last night I moved my Brother DCP-L3550CDW off its shelf (as we had to have some repairs done in that area of the office). I put it back this morning and can’t get past the “No Toner” error message.

I have removed toner cartridges, removed drums, cleaned wires etc. several times and even reset the toner low display. and still it thinks there are no toner cartridges. Any suggestions? Thank you.
Did you manage to solve this.. I have the exact same problem....

My self (and a lot of others according to search on the internet) has experienced the "No toner" problem with the DCP-L3550CDW. In my case it has affected non-Brother toners (both new and used) successfully used before, until the "No toner" message (which effectively blocks all usage of the printer) appeared out of the blue a few days ago.

Common to many having the "No toner" problem with the DCP-L3550CDW seems to be that they have the S 1.59 firmware version. So do I, with the firmware sometime in the past (may be recently) being automatically updated to that version.

I have contacted Brother support concerning this issue today, and their response was (not surprising ...) that they would not accept any guarantee claim when a non-Brother toner was involved. This is of course compliant with their conditions for use, stating that they can't guarantee successful operation when a non-Brother toner is used. However, this problem seems to be more repeatable than occasional non-successful operation.

As a long time printer user I have over the years been used to windows popping up now and then telling me to use original toners and ink, and it is also reasonable by a manufacturer to reject any guarantee claim concerning printing quality when a non-original toner is used, but this appears to be something else.

Has anybody found out how to resolve this "No toner"-problem using non-Brother toners? If so, I would be very happy to hear about it!

Have this printer, recently updated to 1.59 and it now refusing some non-original cardridges. It simple started displaying "no toner" after the update. So it is obvious, they have disabled toners with old chip. On the Ebay I can see there are non-original toners with "new chip". Ordered one set, will see. But if Brother is now pushing only original toners, I will simply put it into electro-waste bin and buy something more tolerant...

You might want to try factory resetting the printer and then making sure the update firmware is off going forward:

Below is how to disable automatic firmware updates on your Brother printer so you can print without interruption.

Step 1: Select the tool icon on the printer display.

Brother Printer Display

Step 2: Select “All Settings”

Brother All Settings

Step 3: Select “Machine Info.”

Machine Info

Step 4: Select “Firmware Auto Check”

Firmware Auto Check

Step 5: Select “Off” to turn off updates"

Turn off updates

Same error started appear with my Brother DCP-L3550CDW. I used black non-Brother toner and it worked perfectly until few days ago. Can confirm that with 1.59 firmware changing to empty Brother toner removed error.

There is a chip on all brother toners. The chip sounds like it fell off, in order for your printer to accept that toner the chip from the toner has to make contact with the printer and there is a chip on the toner that allows that, but it sounds like your chip fell off maybe inside the printer and that is not good for the printer.

So I think I solved this problem. Does not seem connected to firmware after all. When checking the chip of the toner cartridge (small chip on the top left as it goes into the printer, which will make contact to four pins as the cartridge docks into place), I saw there is something underneath it. The chip card is sitting only with some double adhesive and can be lifted up rather easily, so you actually release the chip from the cartridge. Look under it - there is a battery sitting there. It's a very small 1.5 V battery. My original battery was a "Vinnic L521F". So I thought, what if I just replace the battery? Did not find the exact same brand, but a GP watch battery type SR63. Same physical dimensions and same voltage. I placed the new battery in the holder and then pressed the chip back into place.

First attempt it didn't work actually but after opening the printer once more and yanking the cartridge a little (nothing much, just press a few times back and forth just where it is in its place), it now works like a charm!

I attach two pictures.

989f763d-2a0e-44f0-8e15-8ff5bf69fe88.jpg

80d7e62f-a3d3-43c0-9e35-5f17b4fb4fa6.jpg

I have the same problem. I bought toners via ABCtoner in Germany and I cannot use my printer when using those.
These toners don't seem to have this small battery underneath the chip.
Any advise where one can best buy non-original toners for this printer?
Thanks!

Dear Gogs, do I understand correctly that when using non-original toners you need to replace that little battery to make sure a printer (which has been updated to 1.59) will accept those non-original toners again?

So I think I solved this problem. Does not seem connected to firmware after all. When checking the chip of the toner cartridge (small chip on the top left as it goes into the printer, which will make contact to four pins as the cartridge docks into place), I saw there is something underneath it. The chip card is sitting only with some double adhesive and can be lifted up rather easily, so you actually release the chip from the cartridge. Look under it - there is a battery sitting there. It's a very small 1.5 V battery. My original battery was a "Vinnic L521F". So I thought, what if I just replace the battery? Did not find the exact same brand, but a GP watch battery type SR63. Same physical dimensions and same voltage. I placed the new battery in the holder and then pressed the chip back into place.

First attempt it didn't work actually but after opening the printer once more and yanking the cartridge a little (nothing much, just press a few times back and forth just where it is in its place), it now works like a charm!

I attach two pictures.

View attachment 2195

View attachment 2196

I had the same issue today and it works!
TODO: Change the battery of the toner cartridge chip and reset once again the toner.
This video will help you to reset your toner:

PS: No firmware issue.

Do anybody knows how this issue is for newer firmware versions than 1.59? I have several times rejected to update, and now I have the "no toner" problem again (still on 1.59). Maybe 1.60 is more liberal to accept non-Brother toners ...

I will tomorrow try the battery fix, and report to the forum.

I solved this problem. I unscrewed the screw and replaced the chip from the old cartridge, that was recognizable . It’s much easier than replacing only the battery.

Replace the Toner Cartridge
- Make sure the machine is turned on.
- Open the top cover until it locks in the open position.
- Remove the toner cartridge and drum unit assembly for the color shown on the LCD.
- Push down the green lock lever and remove the toner cartridge from the drum unit.
- Unpack the new toner cartridge.
- Remove the protective cover.
- Insert the new toner cartridge firmly into the drum unit until you hear it lock into place.
- Clean the corona wire inside the drum unit by gently sliding the green tab from left to right and right to left several times. Repeat this for all the corona wires.
- Slide the toner cartridge and drum unit assemblies into the machine. Make sure that you match the toner cartridge color to the same color label on the machine.
- Close the machine's top cover.

This May Help,
Peter

I also had the No Toner issue. The problem may be related to dirty contacts on the printer and cartridge. Dab a cloth in white or methylated spirit and clean both the pin contacts on the printer and the 4 gold pads on the cartridge. This worked in most cases. Only one toner cartridge failed to work, and I notice that unlike the other cartridges I use this cartridge had no 'No Toner' warning label.

I think it must be a 3550 issue with toners, I sell many tn247 toners, the newest microchip on the cartridges, have the same issue with a customer, the printer does not tell you which one has failed (so frustrating)
last Friday it happened after only a few weeks with the set in the printer which had been working perfectly, found it to be black toner chip that printer would not accept, one week later, comes back again with the printer, this time I find it to be the cyan, one day later, again NO TONER, the toner reset does not work if the printer is not registering all 4 toners, have had to order brother tones sadly as have no OEM chips to put on the toners, very frustrating as normally such a reliable remanufactured toner series

Ask a Question