[SOLVED] Brother DCP-L3550CDW - No Toner error message

I think it must be a 3550 issue with toners, I sell many tn247 toners, the newest microchip on the cartridges, have the same issue with a customer, the printer does not tell you which one has failed (so frustrating)
last Friday it happened after only a few weeks with the set in the printer which had been working perfectly, found it to be black toner chip that printer would not accept, one week later, comes back again with the printer, this time I find it to be the cyan, one day later, again NO TONER, the toner reset does not work if the printer is not registering all 4 toners, have had to order brother tones sadly as have no OEM chips to put on the toners, very frustrating as normally such a reliable remanufactured toner series
When "no toner" error occurs, press cancel (red X) then enter the settings menu. There you can see on thumbnail which toner has a problem. I marked it with green arrow.
20220505_105736.jpg

When "no toner" error occurs, press cancel (red X) then enter the settings menu. There you can see on thumbnail which toner has a problem. I marked it with green arrow.View attachment 2461

But knowing which has a problem does not solve the issue :) You can have working one, print pages, then if only you do the firmware update, after the reboot, it will say 'no toner'. Probably they are fighting with non-original vendors. Technically good, disabled by software. Tried 2 times already. That way they pushed me to buy only original ones...

Tak jak napisałem, Brother walczy z nieoryginalnymi tonerami, masz sprawny, a nie zadziała ;-)

Steps are given below-

-The No Toner message appears if the toner cartridge is not installed or not installed correctly.
-Remove the toner cartridge and drum unit assembly.
-Remove the toner cartridge from the drum unit, and reinstall the toner cartridge back in the drum unit.

Regards,
Rachel Gomez

My Brother DCP-L3510CDW had a Red Cross over the Magenta. But the bar to show how much toner was left, was filled. This was not an original toner, but toner from Gilford. The printer has a webpage so you can get info from there, not only on the display of printer.

I switched the small battery on the toner cartridge, turned off and on printer and now it is ok again.

I think when the message is that there is missing toner, it is something wrong with the toner catridge. Like empty battery as mentioned above. Then there is a Red Cross over it.

I have the same problem, its definatly a non brother toner issue. Mine has no battery so any more suggestions?
Is there a way to go back to an old firmware?

I have the same problem, its definatly a non brother toner issue. Mine has no battery so any more suggestions?
I have had no issues since the new updated chip from my suppliers on these toners. (v3 chips) no problems with no toner error messages, I would go back to who you purchased them from as i know sellers still sell these with old gen chips that will work in some printer models and not in others.

Took off and swapped the chip from the used genuine brother toner... let me correct that... stuck the chip (with sticky tape) of the genuine brother toner onto the 4-pin thingy that makes contact with the unit. Worked like a charm. Didn't have to remove the chip from the new brother-compatible toner. Just be careful not to damage the chip when taking it off the genuine unit.

Took off and swapped the chip from the used genuine brother toner... let me correct that... stuck the chip (with sticky tape) of the genuine brother toner onto the 4-pin thingy that makes contact with the unit. Worked like a charm. Didn't have to remove the chip from the new brother-compatible toner. Just be careful not to damage the chip when taking it off the genuine unit.

So I think I solved this problem. Does not seem connected to firmware after all. When checking the chip of the toner cartridge (small chip on the top left as it goes into the printer, which will make contact to four pins as the cartridge docks into place), I saw there is something underneath it. The chip card is sitting only with some double adhesive and can be lifted up rather easily, so you actually release the chip from the cartridge. Look under it - there is a battery sitting there. It's a very small 1.5 V battery. My original battery was a "Vinnic L521F". So I thought, what if I just replace the battery? Did not find the exact same brand, but a GP watch battery type SR63. Same physical dimensions and same voltage. I placed the new battery in the holder and then pressed the chip back into place.

First attempt it didn't work actually but after opening the printer once more and yanking the cartridge a little (nothing much, just press a few times back and forth just where it is in its place), it now works like a charm!

I attach two pictures.

View attachment 2195

View attachment 2196
Oh thanks for the great example!

I solved this problem. I unscrewed the screw and replaced the chip from the old cartridge, that was recognizable . It’s much easier than replacing only the battery.
Thanks that worked great, fortunately I have all my old/used toner cartridges still as I have 'hoarded' them in the loft as I haven't got round to recycling them yet

I managed to get it working! Open the top to replace the toner. While open press the red X and back arrow together then quickly just the back arrow. Select the cartridge you wish to reset and select reset. Clears the message and works perfectly.
At first I didnt think this was going to work as when I was pressing the button combination nothing was happening but eventually it did!

Replace the Toner Cartridge
- Make sure the machine is turned on.
- Open the top cover until it locks in the open position.
- Remove the toner cartridge and drum unit assembly for the color shown on the LCD.
- Push down the green lock lever and remove the toner cartridge from the drum unit.
- Unpack the new toner cartridge.
- Remove the protective cover.
- Insert the new toner cartridge firmly into the drum unit until you hear it lock into place.
- Clean the corona wire inside the drum unit by gently sliding the green tab from left to right and right to left several times. Repeat this for all the corona wires.
- Slide the toner cartridge and drum unit assemblies into the machine. Make sure that you match the toner cartridge color to the same color label on the machine.
- Close the machine's top cover.

This May Help,
Peter
thank you for very detailed instruction!

Thanks Shannon, but the toner is not Brother original and they are all pretty much full. This happened after the last firmware update. I was unaware this change was happening and didnt know Brother are no longer allowing generic cartridges... would have been nice for a heads up from these guys.

so my brother hl-l3270cdw just took a firmware update and now i have the no toner error also. that's a real douchebag move...

I have a brother MFC-L3770CDW. I run out of black ink, then I got "No Toner" Message that further says says "Open the Top Cover, then Install Toner Cartridge." I order a new black ink TN227BK original Brother ink high capacity but i still got the same error message and it would not go away. I ordered the same ink that i previously used. I tried everything, i reset the ink that is giving the error message but the No Toner message is still there.

I have a brother MFC-L3770CDW. I run out of black ink, then I got "No Toner" Message that further says says "Open the Top Cover, then Install Toner Cartridge." I order a new black ink TN227BK original Brother ink high capacity but i still got the same error message and it would not go away. I ordered the same ink that i previously used. I tried everything, i reset the ink that is giving the error message but the No Toner message is still there.
It's not liking one of the toner cartridges, the cyan, magenta and yellow, are these the Original brother toners, IF NOT, ONE OF THESE IS CAUSING THE ISSUE being THE CHIP ON THE TONER CARTRIDGE.

Update: I finally fixed it, @worldofinksltd you are correct, it did not like the chip of one of the toners in my printers which i did not suspected because it was there for over a year. I was so focused on the black toner that i replaced because it was showing me as empty, but after i reset the black toner it was showing as full but the NO Toner issue persisted.

I fixed my problem after watching the youtube video of Terry Jones Printer Repairs, the video is called:

Brother Mfc-L3750cdw L3770cdw L3745cdw No Toner Error with Full Cartridges​

My printer had an issue with the magenta toner chip and it was hard to see that on the display, the red X on the magenta. It turns out that the magenta toner was an after market toner that i had over a year, but because most of the after market toner have a battery, if you turn off your printer for several days the toner battery will die, hence your printer will not recognize it. If the toner is still full and your printer did not have an issue with it, you can either replace the battery or in my case i found the original Brother toner and i switched the chip. Note that the original brother toners don't have batteries. Don't discard your original toners, at least save the chips for this kind of opportunity.

Last night I moved my Brother DCP-L3550CDW off its shelf (as we had to have some repairs done in that area of the office). I put it back this morning and can’t get past the “No Toner” error message.

I have removed toner cartridges, removed drums, cleaned wires etc. several times and even reset the toner low display. and still it thinks there are no toner cartridges. Any suggestions? Thank you.

Ask a Question