Unable to map to MFC-L5900DW

Have a Windows server acting as a terminal server. OS is 2012 R2. It had been mapped to a Brother MFC-L5900DW but then users were unable to print from an RDP session. I logged into server and found it showing the printer offline.
However, users are mapped to the printer from their PCs and are printing to it just fine.

I removed the mapping on the server, downloaded the full software package and ran it to reinstall and set everything back up. However, it gets to the part where it scans the network for the printer and it does not find it.

On the server I can ping the IP of the printer and using a browser on the server I can go to the printer's web page and navigate all through it. So connectivity between server and printer is established.

I've disabled the Windows firewall but that does not help. No 3rd party AV software is running. The printer is connected to the network via wireless as no Ethernet port is close enough. All PCs printing just fine and server used to but now can't see the printer.

I've run the Add Printer wizard in the Control Panel and it doesn't find the printer in its scan but I can add it manually and so it now shows up as a valid printer.

So either the software isn't fully compatible with Server 2012 R2 or there is something odd about the printer's network connection since the auto detect of the Add Printer wizard didn't find it but I was able to add it manually.

Ask a Question