What brand/model still prints when out of an ink color?

Until my old printer died, I was able to print in ANY COLOR - if I was out of black ink - by simply highlighting the text, and changing it to print in 'blue' (for example). In this way, I was able to get a hard copy of something that I needed - without having to go to the store for a new black ink cartridge before I could print it.

This worked 'in reverse', also, in that if I was out of 'blue' (for example), I could still print in BLACK!

I got a new Epson - and to my horror, discovered that NO MATTER WHAT COLOR I WANT TO PRINT IN, if ANY INK CARTRIDGE IS EMPTY, IT WILL NOT PRINT. Once ANY color is empty, I am UNABLE TO PRINT ANYTHING.

In slogging through numerous calls to factory tech support (& translating various accents), I have so far learned that HP printers have the same problem.

I then called numerous printer repair shops - and they told me that it WAS possible to find a printer that would function if one ink cartridge was empty. BUT, I would probably have to hunt for a SPECIFIC MODEL to find this ability.

At this point, I would be quite happy with an older printer that had been trustfully refurbished, if I could simply print something when I needed it, without being limited to an 'all or nothing' print situation.

I do want the ability to print, copy, enlarge, scan, fax and have wi-fi.

Can someone make suggestions about a) what specific brand/model to look for,, and b) the best place to find it at a good price?

Thanks!

This is a protection system for the printhead on your printer. If you were to continue to try and print in the color that was low or empty you would burn the printhead out and this would be a very expensive part to replace. Some printers you can override this protection system by holding in the stop or resume button for 5-10 seconds. But if you accomplish this do not try and print in the color that is empty. It is also possible to buy a chip resetter that will reset the chip so the computer will think the empty cartridge is full which will then let you continue. These resetters are used by people who are refilling their cartridges. You can find them at Precisioncolors website. Or just do a search for Chip Resetters.

Ask a Question