Why my printer add color that are not in the pc image?

Hi, i have a cmyk image to print. I start from the yellow, i put it in print and the printer print the yellow image but with very little blue and red dots, and this make a disturbed image. Worst if i put the remains colors, he add those dots for each color and the result is a sum of particles that from a short distance you notice it.

What is the name of this method, option, mode, and how to disable this "add color" that i never ask for it.
Thank you

Last edited:
I found that is dither the problem, there is an option on photoshop to print without dither, a flat pure color? Or a program for the printer to print without adding other color particles and use the pure yellow?
Thank you

What printer do you have? I'm assuming it is a RGB based inkjet with CMYK ink, but if not, then disregard the following. Also, we may have a different understanding of "dither".

Unless the yellow in the image exactly matches the yellow of your ink (very unlikely unless you know the Pantone-equiv of your yellow ink), the print-driver will HAVE to mix (quasi-dither) extremely small droplets of colored ink, using some Cyan and Magenta (probably not K=black, and almost certainly not red dots, and definitely not blue dots).

My understanding is that each monitor pixel can be eventually comprised of dozens or even hundreds of ink dots laid down by the print-head.

And it is actually more complicated, as there is a whole "pipe-line" of mathematical adjustments that happen between the file image on your computer's hard drive, through the software (like Photoshop or Lightroom) displaying on the monitor, apply the printer-profile (vendor generic or custom or other) to the o/s print-driver plug-in, and then the firmware on the printer itself.

FWIW: my understanding is that "dithering" in Photoshop is more of an issue with 8-bit color channels when the monitor and/or video card can't accomplish this fine of gradation (banding). With 16-bit color channels in the image, some form of dithering will pretty much always happen, unless you have very, very high end hardware.

With printing, the equivalent of dithering pretty much always happens, unless you are printing "synthetic" colors.

Eventually, you may need a custom colour profile, but I'd hold off on that for now.

Ask a Question