XP-820 Cassette, paper type & size and photo size

wcs

I have a XP-820 that I recently needed to print some pictures on plain paper of a persons vehicle that is going to advertised for sale.

The seller wanted a few pics printed out on plain paper to place on local bulletin boards.

I haven't printed any photos with this printer in the past and told him that the photo quality would not be very high when printed on plain paper, and he said that would be ok.

While trying to print the photos from Windows Photo Gallery I'm given several options for the photo size which I needed to be printed out onto plain paper with the photo as the top portion of 8 x 11.5 plain paper. Providing the seller space below the pic for a vehicle description.

All my 8 x 11.5 plain paper is stored in the lower cassette which I assumed is Cassette 2 ?

XP-820 Manual shows "Loading Paper in Cassette 2 (Lower Cassette)" Which I assume is the cassette for larger paper sizes.

From Windows Photo Gallery I selected to print a 5 x 7 inch print to be printed on plain paper from the lower cassette. However each time I've been prompted that 5 x 7 isn't the correct paper size loaded into the lower cassette.

While printing all of the photos of the vehicle I keep needing to change a 5 x 7 size photo from portrait to landscape so it will be displayed on the upper portion of 8 x. 11.5 plain paper. And I'm continually prompted that I don't have 5 x 7 inch paper loaded and to press continue each time printing a 5 x 7 photo.

I've tried various printing preferences but each time am receiving messages from the Printers LCD screen about empty cassette, wrong paper size, etc.

I only need to print different sized photo (landscape and portrait) onto plain paper from the main cassette with one paper size and type (8 x 11.5 and plain paper)

Without being continually prompted with error messages from the printer.

At first I wasn't certain which cassette was which and tried various settings such as auto cassette, cassette 1 and cassette 2 and there were problems trying to get the printer to print without error messages from the printer. But I think I've got most of the default settings as they should be.

Cassette 2 > Plain 8 x 11.5 paper > quality high ... however I'm still prompted that I don't have 5 x 7 inch paper loaded while trying to print a 5 x 7 inch photo from 8 x 11.5 inch plain paper.

(See Page 52 thru 59 of manual)
Top Paper Tray = Output Tray (or completed print job)
Cassette #1 Center Paper Tray = Photo Paper (Sizes 4X6 or 5X7 or 8X10)
Cassette #2 Bottom Paper Tray = A-4 or A-5 Bond Inkjet Printer Paper (8 1/2 X 11 or 8 1/2 X 14)

Turn Off Paper Setting Alert (page 69, 70 of manual)
The Paper Setting Alert warns when paper settings dont match paper loaded.
Disable this feature in Printer Control Panel.

Press Home Button -> Select Setup -> Scroll down & select Guide Functions

Select Paper Setting Alert -> Select Off -> Press the Home Button To Exit

XP-820 Manual Here:
https://files.support.epson.com/docid/cpd4/cpd41239.pdf

Revised Response

(See Page 52 thru 59 of manual)
Top Paper Tray = Output Tray (or completed print job)
Cassette #1 Center Paper Tray = Photo Paper (Sizes 4X6 or 5X7 or 8X10)
Cassette #2 Bottom Paper Tray = A-4 or A-5 Bond Inkjet Printer Paper (8 1/2 X 11 or 8 1/2 X 14)

Turn Off Paper Setting Alert (page 69, 70 of manual)
The Paper Setting Alert warns when paper settings dont match paper loaded.
Disable this feature in Printer Control Panel.

Press Home Button -> Select Setup -> Scroll down & select Guide Functions

Select Paper Setting Alert -> Select Off -> Press the Home Button To Exit

XP-820 Manual Here:
https://files.support.epson.com/docid/cpd4/cpd41239.pdf

Now I attempted to duplicate your 5X7 placement of photo at top of 8 1/2 X11 paper
Select Printer (XP-820)
Select Paper Size (Letter 8 1/2 X11)
Select Quality (Best)
Select Paper Type (Plain Paper - Bright White)
On Right Side of Application Select (5 X 7 in. (2) - Third Selection From Top
At Bottom of Application Select Copies Of Each Picture (1)
Remove Check Mark from Fit Picture To Frame ( Check here destroys Aspect Ratio )
Sample View In Middle of Application Shows Photo At Top of Paper
If I Click on Options At Bottom of Application & Select Printer Preferences, you will see
Portrait Orientation Is Already Selected In Printer Preferences
Select Print

This leaves over half of page blank for your written description of advertisement.
Windows Photo Gallery is Super! Works for me. I hope it helps. Advise

wcs

Thanks for your instructions. After changing the Paper Setting Alert to Off, the printer no longer cares about the cassettes, which I prefer. I mostly use on 8 x 11.5 plain paper loaded in the lower cassette. (Cassette 2).

If I ever need to use photo paper I would load it and then choose the correct cassette and paper type.

I also found a Document Alert that notifies you when a document is left on the scanner glass.

There is also another setting named "Paper Configuration" that automatically displays paper settings selection screen after paper is loaded in the cassettes when set to On.

If set to Off Airprint can no longer be used.

Ask a Question