Brother 7860DW not printing some letters

Here's a weird issue to try and wrap your head around. I've been fiddling with it for over 2 hours now and I can't think of anything else to do. I give it up to my fellow printer gurus.

SITUATION:
A fellow employee is trying to print checks. The checks themselves print perfectly fine. It is important to note here we are printing from a remote desktop connection to a terminal server with Windows 2008 from a computer with Windows XP. This will be important information when we get to troubleshooting steps.

SYMPTOMS:
However, upon further inspection, on some of the checks, there's a letter missing. And it isn't a specific letter each time. For example, on check number 0001, the magic missing letter is J, and J is missing from the entire page from every location it's supposed to be in (i.e. JOHN JOHNSON is now OHN OHNSON). BUT, on check number 0002, from the SAME print job, J is magically printing again. Now the number 9 is missing...sheesh.

There's no pattern to it, either. For one print job, even if you reprint this job 500 times, the same letters are missing from the same place every reprint. Choose another print job, and it gets its own little template for what letters and numbers are missing. So, J may be missing on page 4 for print job 1, and for print job 2, M is missing from page 7. I hope this makes sense.

Now, here's the tricky part. Same font, same size, same page settings, different printer, everything prints fine. We tried the same print job from another printer and not the first letter is missing. So, the issue points to either A) the print driver or B) the printer itself. So lets go over what's already been attempted.

TROUBLESHOOTING:
1. Removed and reinstalled print driver with latest and greatest from the manufacturer's website.
2. Edited the registry to enable UniScribe for Windows XP (obtained from an article from Microsoft).
3. Disabled the "Print using Advanced Features" option (or "Enhanced Features," whichever wording was used...if not both).
4. Tried the TrueType Font option as Substitute with Device Font and as Download as SoftFont.
5. Tried the TrueType Font Download Option as Bitmap, Native TrueType, and Auto.
6. Just for S&G's, reinstalled the printer driver from the CD that shipped with the printer.

Any other basic troubleshooting steps (power off/on, restart Windows, try it as Administrator, etc.) were performed before the steps above were done.

SOLUTION:
Is there one? It has to be something I'm missing either on the printer config side or the driver config side. The Xerox prints them just fine, but we can't use the Xerox machine to print checks because of security reasons (it isn't located in her office).

Ask a Question