Brother toners: TN1050 and 1060 made not compatible by plastic fins? Is this a joke?

So, I bought a Brother MFC-1910W in Europe but I live in South America (this is where I'll be buying supplies, toner at least). Before commiting I did a bit of research. Europe had the TN-1050 toner and here we have the TN-1060. It's my understanding that these things don't have electronics like inkjet cartridges. Both toner looked the same and ALL OVER THE INTERNET you can find these "alternative" toners that say that are compatible with a wide range of printers (in my case I made sure that they said 1050 and 1060 compatible).

All good so I purchased the printer and used the included toner. Now I bought a replacement. Since I didn't felt like experimenting with alternatives right now I bought a TN-1060 Brother original. I take out of the package and compared it with the old one. They are bit to bit identical, except the 1060 has the top of a little gear on one side uncovered. The 1050 has the exact same shape but it's covered by the case. Upon inspection it doesn't seem like anything should go in there. I then try to insert the toner but surprise surprise. The tray has 3 slots on the back, one which is longer. The 1050 has some plastic fins at the back that fit the longer slots. The 1060 has the same fins but moved a few mm to one side. The should fit another slot on the tray, but as those slots are shorter they don't fit by 1mm or less.

Now, I went back to searching alternatives toners one-size-fits-all online and they DON'T have those fins. They seem useless anyway, upon inserting they rest on the plastic tray. The real tabs that seems to help keep the thing in place are more to the side and those are the same. Let me illustrate:

Original
CWBCFZ15_o.jpg

Alternative
s-l1600.jpg

See something missing? What a goddamn joke. So Brother does on purpose shift those fins a mm to render toners incompatible? Disgusting. What's the reason for toners not to be compatible? It's the same frigging design. So... can I cut those fins with a wire cutter? (1-2mm, enough to fit the tray). Unless someone tells me not I'll do it tomorrow. I hope the printer doesn't explode in my face.

eBay item of the pic above (there are tons like these, not many have good photos though)

Tray
stvCkoFw_o.jpg

Toner in tray (see the fins not fitting the shorter slots)
lJNPg3ZH_o.jpg

Edit: I just noticed. In the original and alternative pics, even though both are 1050s, the alternative has more more gears uncovered on the right. Further proof that doesn't affect anything?

Ask a Question