Canon MG 5250 uses ink without printing

Hello,

I have bought a Canon MG 5250 that consumes the ink without printing. I searched in the documentation and I found that the printer does an auto clean process every time you open it so it consumes the ink. Do you know if there is a trick to disable the auto clean process in order to save ink?

Thanks.

Well, you probably don't want to do that, even if it was possible. To reduce clogged heads, the print-driver has a "schedule" for minor, moderate, and major head cleaning / purging. It's a tradeoff between the risks of clogs and ink usage.

Also, many of the sounds you hear between prints may be the printer repositioning the print-head very accurately when it is "parked". But it will almost always have to clean / purge when the cover has been opened and a cartridge has been replaced. There is also the issue of the purge unit having to "prime the pump" with a partial vacuum on the outlet port of the cartridge to get ink flowing. Otherwise, you can have ink starvation ... very, very bad ... unless you enjoy replacing $80+ USD print-heads.

More info ... TMI? ... you can safely reduce the amount of times that you replace a single cartridge.

I've got a Canon MP990, which is a USA version, and a generation older than your CLI-526 based printer. My understanding is that they are very similar, except "my" generation has semi-opaque cartridges, which are preferred over "your" completely opaque carts. They have the same ink capacity and "form factor". They take different resetters.

The carts are relatively low in ink capacity (9 ml), so one or the other seems to always be getting to the status of "LOW". Frustrating and drastically slows down bulk printing.

Based on 100's and 100's of weighings with a calibrated electronic, high resolution digital scale, my observation is that there is quite a bit of ink left when it reports LOW, and more than you'd expect when it reports EMPTY.

Another observation from those weighings was I ended up rather impressed by Canon's cleaning / purging "decision tree". Like perhaps many hobby'ist printers, my original perception was that a whole lot of unnecessary cleaning/purging takes place, which used up a lot more ink than really necessary. Ka-ching for Canon? It wasn't nearly as bad as I suspected.

Eventually, the print-driver will report something like "REALLY EMPTY ... do you want to disable ink monitoring?" IMO, do not ... DO NOT ... disable ink monitoring, especially with such small ink capacities.

BTW, I've been refilling my own CLI-8 and CLI-221 carts for several years, so my situation may be very different than yours. Ink per letter size photo print is almost "free / who cares" for me, even with world-class German OCP ink.

If I was buying OEM ink for my MP990 (won't happen, but hypothetically), I'd be inclined to almost always replace at least two carts, and hopefully three at a time.

It stings to replace a cart that reports "LOW", as it may have 3 ml of the original 9 ml left. I'd try to pay attention to rarely if ever get to the "REALLY EMPTY" status, but I certainly wouldn't stop printing for a new cart when only one cart reported EMPTY.

In retrospect, I would not have purchased the pair of close-out refurbished-by-Canon MP990 printer that I bought. I print quite a lot of photos as a volunteer photographer, so consumable costs would be important with OEM ink. I much prefer my CLI-8 based printers (13ml carts with translucent shells compared to 9 ml with semi-opaque shells). My "critical path use case" is getting 1000+ letter size photos printed at a 5 day kids camp, so print speed without interruptions is a big factor.

Last edited:

Ask a Question