Canon MG 5250

Hi,

I have a Canon MG5250 multifunction printer.
As the printer side of the unit does not work anymore due to print head error I now want to use this unit as a scanner only.
However it will not let me as the error message keeps coming up.
Is there a way to circumvent this and use the scanner only?

Thanks and greetings

Is there a way to circumvent this and use the scanner only?

Probably not. Hope I'm wrong.

It seems like the scanner should continue to work, as it has little or nothing to do with printing, but "it is what it is". Bummer. My sympathies.

An aside and perhaps TMI ..
My observation is that the "build quality" of the older CLI-8 based printers like my iP4500 and MX850 was better than subsequent CLI-221 based printers like my MP990. For example ... paper handling rear tray, round rod on which the print-head moves, etc.)

I don't own a more recent generation printer like those based on CLI-226 or CLI-251 cartridges. However, I've looked closely at several of both generations at local tech stores, and done 20+ prints for profile target prints and then profile test prints of the resulting printer profiles. As expected, excellent photo quality, but the build quality ... not so much. They seemed very similar to my MP990 in that respect.

A speculation ... perhaps the more recent generation of Canon printers are less heavily subsidized than the older, CLI-8 generation printers?

Last edited:
I have a printer like this and had the B200 error preventing anything done with it.

I managed to get this error cleared and the printer now works like a scanner, although the printing aspect isn't working. This is what I did:

i. With the machine power turned off, while pressing the Stop button, press and hold the ON button. (DO NOT
release the buttons.)
ii. When the Power LED lights in green, while holding the ON button, release the Stop button. (DO NOT
release the ON button.)
iii. While holding the ON button, press the Stop button 2 times, and release the ON button.

Ask a Question