Does Epson Stylus Use Black Ink When Printing in Photo Mode? (SX218)

I wanted to test how many A4 photos I could print on a new set of cartridges. The printer takes four cartridges (C,Y,M,and Black). I installed all new cartridges. I printied 20 A4 photos (in "Photo" mode as opposed to "Best Photo" mode). The photos were generally of forest landscapes, so were heavy on the leafy green side. I checked the ink levels, and not surprisingly, the Cyan was down to about 1/5 remaining, the Yellow to about 2/3 remaining, and the Magenta to about 1/2 remaining. But the black appears to still be at 100% full, and that is what my question is about.

I think some printers can either use CYM to simulate black, or CYM along with Black to, I imagine, print higher quality photos. The prints aren't bad, and there are certainly areas that appear black, but I don't have anything to compare them to regarding just how saturated that black is.

Does anyone know how the Epson Stylus series (I think this is a low-end printer) handles black ink when printing in Photo mode (and also in Best Photo mode)? Is there a way to force it to use CYM and Black?

Thanks

Ask a Question