Install Problem

My HP Photosmart C309g went south but I found another. I uninstalled all of my HP Software and downloaded the most recent software and drivers. I then tried to install the new printer and everything seems to go smoothly until almost the end when I get a "fatal installation error" message. I even get a HP Install Uninstaller error when I try to uninstall and retry. Any help would be very much appreciated.

You dont indicate operating system.
First be sure you un-install printer driver.

If Windows follow this:
Control Panel -> Devices & Printers -> Right Click HP309 Icon -> Select "Remove device"

Re-install printer driver using HP Install CD. Do not interrupt install process.
Some manufacturers require USB cable to be disconnected during install. Follow your manual carefully.

You dont indicate operating system.
First be sure you un-install printer driver.

If Windows follow this:
Control Panel -> Devices & Printers -> Right Click HP309 Icon -> Select "Remove device"

Re-install printer driver using HP Install CD. Do not interrupt install process.
Some manufacturers require USB cable to be disconnected during install. Follow your manual carefully.

Sorry about that. OS is Windows 10. I have done what you have suggested and have ended up with the same error message. I will try once more and get back to you. ....Well that didn't work. Put in CD and it seem to load but screen only showed EXIT Close Program option.

Joe, Im not a Win 10 expert, but seems either your CD drive or Win 10 computer is not functioning properly.
I suspect Win 10 may be your problem, as you get similar results with downloaded drivers.
One more thing to try. Let Windows find and install appropriate printer driver.
Follow this: Controll Panel -> Devices & printers -> Click "Add Printer" at top of screen -> Follow Screen Instructions. See these Youtube videos for assist:

For downloading driver, see this:

Remember to uninstall any previous attempts to install before you begin above.

Advise

I find this entire issue hard to swallow. I have been running Windows 10 x64 since it came out with this same model printer with no problems. As I said before, the printer went bad and I purchased a new one. It should have just installed with no problems. I have the original CD as well as the updated version of the install program. I cannot get any help from HP as the warranty is gone. I can't even complain about their updated software which may be a problem. It seems that for some unknown and unnatural reason, I probably wont be able to use the printer and might as well pitch it. Too bad I can't find someone versed in HP Products and Software.

Ok Joe. You asked for help!
Did you even try letting Windows find and install the printer driver?
Did you try installing printer driver with Anti Virus turned Off?
Did you try re-installing Windows 10?
Good Luck with it.

The three different installation methods that I have tried each installs everything including driver and continues until it gets to the configuration stage. It seems to run longer than usual at this time finally giving me a "fatal installation error" message. Sometimes it says it can't find a particular .msi file or one time it left this message; C:\temp\7x52540\hpzsetup.exe " " - "stub" "590866" '/renew " " "1" -wST... Have no idea what that is.
I have tried also with Anti Virus off. Have not tried to re-install Win 10. Haven't found reason yet for that.

Ask a Question