MFC-420CN fails scan on Windows 10

Admitted that this is an old printer / scanner but it's served my purposes well for several years.

I live in the desert southwest and buying print cartridges has gone beyond problematic, with high heat and low humidity a new set of cartridges last less than a month before they're dry - if I need to print something I take it into town where I can have it printed. Thus the only se I have for this device is as a scanner.

Windows XP - using the Brother drivers and software it scans fine (well, not fine but that's another problem I'll address later) I've also used it on Windows 7 / Windows 8 / Windows 8.1

When I try to scan anything using the native drivers under Windows 10 - Brothers drivers won't install, complaining that the Windows drivers are already installed by Microsoft - I'm greeted with:
Code:
A problem prevented the document from being scanned.  Please try
again, or for troubleshooting information, see Help and Support or the 
information that came with the scanner.

Same power supply, same USB cable but "no joy" trying to scan with Windows 10. Any suggestions?

Admitted that this is an old printer / scanner but it's served my purposes well for several years.

I live in the desert southwest and buying print cartridges has gone beyond problematic, with high heat and low humidity a new set of cartridges last less than a month before they're dry - if I need to print something I take it into town where I can have it printed. Thus the only se I have for this device is as a scanner.

Windows XP - using the Brother drivers and software it scans fine (well, not fine but that's another problem I'll address later) I've also used it on Windows 7 / Windows 8 / Windows 8.1

When I try to scan anything using the native drivers under Windows 10 - Brothers drivers won't install, complaining that the Windows drivers are already installed by Microsoft - I'm greeted with:
Code:
A problem prevented the document from being scanned.  Please try
again, or for troubleshooting information, see Help and Support or the
information that came with the scanner.

Same power supply, same USB cable but "no joy" trying to scan with Windows 10. Any suggestions?

I have exact same problem. Printer and scanner worked perfectly with WXP, but won't scan with W10. I called Brother and followed their instructions but to no avail. If I find a solution I will post.

Ask a Question